Sunday, September 19, 2010

Western Idaho Fair 2010

Every year the Western Idaho Fair has Family Day. That is the day where no alcohol is allowed in the fair so that people who care don't have to worry about being around a bunch of drunks. I wasn't paying attention to the Fair dates this year and so when Kefford called me during the day to see if we wanted to go i was a little unprepared. But I am a spur of the moment type of girl and so I said let's do it! Kefford had therapy after work which he could not cancel or reschedule without paying a fee and so we met him after his therapy in the parking lot of Target around 5:30. We had said that we would eat dinner at the fair but I knew that would be super expensive so while we were waiting for Kefford to show up I popped into Target and at their Deli bought 4 kids meals to take along. They got chicken nuggets, apple slices with caramel and a slushy not too shabby especially since they were only $3 each. I packed them up in a sack and off we went to the fair!

The kids were thirsty right off and so they got their slushies right when we entered the fair. They were very excited about those! Everyone liked looking at the tractors and climbing in them to take pictures! In this one Avynlea is scooping up her brother and sisters!

Farmer Joshua, isn't he so cute? Maybe he should forget the computer career and take up farming..cooler clothes!

Our fun annual Farmer and his crops picture. Farmer Ryker with Green pepper Kenedy, eggplant Avynlea and Tomato Rylee. A funny little side note that just popped into my head. When Kefford and I first got married we lived out on the farm for about 6 months. It was right in the middle of harvest and we were surrounded by fields that haven't been harvested yet. I was curious as to when this would happen but obviously being a city girl knew nothing about farm lingo. So I asked Kefford "when are you guys going to pick the food?" He looked at me funny and said "you mean HARVEST the CROPS?" Hahaha yeah that's what I meant! I have since learned how to speak farmer..for the most part! :0)
Farmer Ryker did a great job harvesting his lovely crops and bringing them to the fair!

The kids always love to see all the animals and love it even more when they can pet the animals.

Avynlea our animal lover was especially happy to find animals to love on!

Rylee not so much!
But once her hand was forced to touch the sheep she realized it was ok. :0)

Rylee loves her Uncle Joshua. It was nice to have another person around to help with the kids.

For some reason I could not get Rylees pants to button up, her belly was poking out a little far at this time and her shirt was not quite long enough to cover the opening. It really made us all laugh!

New this year was an animotronic dinosaur exhibit. It cost two dollars a person with Rylee being free because of her age. I stayed behind while Kefford and Joshua took the kids in to see it.

They all said it was an OK exhibit but were hoping it would have been something more exciting.

Kefford said it was a waste of money! Oh well you never know till you try!

I think Rylee was a little scared of it all but put on a brave face for the camera.

After the Dinosaur exhibit thing we saw that there were going to be some piglet races in about 15 minutes so we grabbed some seats and while Kefford and Joshua went to get their food I stayed with the kids and handed out their food. After the men came back I went off to get my fair food. I am always excited to come to the fair and get some fresh squeezed lemonade and a yummy corn dog. I got my lemonade..ummm yummy...and went to a booth advertising corn dogs among other things. Once I got my corn dog I was sooo disappointed. Instead of a freshly made and hand dipped corn dog I was gypped and got a corn dog that was looking just like the frozen corn dogs you buy from Costco. I was so bummed, I obviously went to the wrong booth. Man! I guess I learned my lesson for next year.

I decided that I really need Kefford to get me some sunglasses that have darker lenses. I like to look at people and I like to do it wearing my sunglasses so they can't see me looking at them. It took a long time before I realized that my lenses were not as dark as I thought they were and People have been able to see me staring at them. Yikes! Once I realized that I felt like my privacy had just been invaded! So definitely need to get those darker lenses!

More animals to pet in the petting zoo. Again Kefford had to force Rylee to touch them. She is such a chicken but once she had her hand put on she realizes it is ok.

Kenedy had no problem petting animals.
Rylee had a hard time of it.
Ryker loved it.
Want to know how to tell your Daughter is growing up and heading to be a teenager more quickly then you want? She hears that we are going to the fair and goes up to change and comes down wearing some really cute school clothes. Oi vey!



Finally Rylee shows that she enjoys petting animals!


Once we were done with all the animals we were talking about maybe just taking off and going home. But the kids would have none of that. They wanted to go on some rides so badly. Ryker kept saying how we couldn't go to the fair and not go on any rides. So we gave in like big suckers and bought some ride tickets.

First up were Rylee and Avynlea on the swings. They loved it and Rylee was really fun to watch. They both had big smiles but Rylee kept a sharp look out for us and every time she would swing by is she would get a bigger smile on her face and would wave and wave. It was pretty dang cute!


Next Kenedy and Ryker waited in line to go on the ride they chose. I like that Kenedy looks a little nervous. I am not sure that she was, she might have just been bored waiting for the ride but it looks like nerves to me!


They LOVED it. I knew Ryker would but Kenedy is not always into certain rides, obviously they both had a good time on this one!



See that cute little girl in the black shirt with the blonde ponytail? That is Avynlea going to up to ride the crazy slide down!

She loved it! Kefford had to sneak her off to ride the slide so that Rylee wouldn't know about it. We did not want to break the bank buying tickets to ride the rides and when all was said and done everyone could ride twice except for Rylee. She never knew and never complained.

The other ride that the two older kids went on was some spook alley type of thing. They got in a little car and rode through. They came out pretty quick and said that it was a waste of time. All that happened was it was completely dark and they heard a couple of doors slam. Not a whole lot of fun. Oh well now we know to avoid that one next year.
So much fun was had at the fair. It is fun every year bit I enjoy the kids as they get older because it seems they remember more and show more excitement. Definitely a yearly tradition we will continue to do!