Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Personal Progress

Two Sundays ago I missed church because I was home with a sick child, Kefford had Bishopric meetings before church and while he was there I got a text saying they were going to give Kenedy her Personal Progress award that day. I replied quickly with a, no way, you are not giving that award when I can't even be there, type of reply. So it was put off for another week.
This last Sunday was the big day and as we were sitting in the Chapel waiting for Sacrament meeting to start Kenedy got very nervous. She knew she was going to have to bear her testimony and was worried about it. I told her not to worry she would be great. 
Soon enough the two of us were called to the front and we met Kefford up there. The parents are always asked to come up with the Young Woman getting the award. After talking about how wonderful Kenedy is Bishop gave me the necklace to open and put on her. While I was struggling to undo knots and get the necklace out of the packaging , Bishop Buttars had Kenedy say a few words about Personal Progress. I really wished I could have heard more of what Kenedy was saying but I was stuck trying to get the necklace out. I know she said she appreciates the skills she learned while doing Personal Progress that will help her become a good Mother like me. That was a nice thing to hear and for her to say.
After Sacrament Meeting was over Kenedy got a lot of congratulations and I had a couple of people tell me good job. I was very quick to let them know that Kenedy did this all on her own. She made the goal a couple of years ago that she wanted to finish her Personal Progress before she became a Laurel. I had nothing to do with this accomplishment of hers. It is called Personal Progress for a reason and I believe that it is something the girls need to do on their own, how else will they learn and grow. It is my job to be encouraging but not to force or do it for her. I am proud of Kenedy for making the goal and for keeping it. She is a great example for her siblings and I love her!