Saturday, October 17, 2015

Homecoming Dance

I did my makeup a little different on this day, I put eyeliner on my waterline, and decided to take a couple pictures to see how it really looked. I did look in the mirror but it is a different perspective seeing it on film. I don't think I like it very much, I think it makes me eyes look too small. So eye makeup test done :).

Saturday was the day of the Homecoming Dance. The cheerleaders are in charge of the dance every year, it is one of their fundraisers. I volunteered to do some of the fruit kabobs and that morning I cut strawberries and peeled clementines and had Avy and Rylee put them together for me. It was later that I found out Rylee was sick and so I really hope that none of her germs transferred onto the fruit. oops! Later when I took the kabobs to the school I dropped them off and then saw another Mom who also volunteered to bring kabobs bring hers in. Mine looked pretty pathetic next to hers and I felt dumb that maybe I should have made them more elaborate. Later when Kenedy came home I asked her about them and asked if they looked really sad and she said that actually mine were the first ones gone. She didn't even get to have one of the ones we made. Yes! That makes me the winner! Hahaha. My frown was definitely turned upside down by that turn of events. 

Kenedy decided to go to Homecoming with a group of friends. A couple of them had dates but most of them went stag. Trying to find a modest dress was so stinking hard. I did not want to spend a ton of money and everywhere we looked they were so short and strapless. I was out to lunch with a friend the Monday before the dance and I started getting pictures of dresses sent to me from Lana. She knew my dilemma and was out looking for a tie for her son and was looking through the dresses for Kenedy. I was not liking any of the pictures she was sending until she sent this dress...
It looked perfect in the picture and since I was not even 5 minutes away from where she was at I told her I would be right there and booked it to Ross. After inspecting it I figured we could cut it at the knee and then add a strap and give it a bit of a cap. I bought it and hoped that Kenedy would like it. I had to rush off to volunteer at the school and on my way I called Kenedy and told her she needed to come to the elementary school, get the dress out of the car and take it over to the Bruggers so that April could look it over.  I do sew but seeing as how I have never doctored a formal I was not really comfortable with the idea of doing it myself. I have another friend in the ward who has done a lot of formal makeovers and so I called her to see if she would help us out. I ended up cutting the bottom and hemming it and April Brugger did the top for us. It turned out so cute and Kenedy loved it! 

Kenedy borrowed some heels from her friend and they made her so tall. She wanted a picture taken of her with Kefford because she was about as tall as he was. Unfortunately for her he would not cooperate for the picture and stood on his toes.
I missed the meeting where the cheer parents signed up for the different committees. I was not really bummed about that but I did have the thought that it would be fun to chaperone at the dance. A week before the dance I sent an email to the coach asking if I could chaperone, she sent back a reply that said absolutely, so I was good to go. The night before, I woke up in the middle of the night in a panic about this job I took on. I really do not know what I was thinking. I was not going to know anyone there and not really being friends with any of the either cheer Moms I realized I doomed myself to a night of being a loner loser. I did not know what to do, I did not want to go anymore but I felt terrible backing out, even though they really did not need me. That was the day that Rylee got sick and as sad as it was her having a high fever and not feeling good I realized I had my out. So I got myself out of being a loser at this high school dance. Phew. When I dropped off the kabobs I took a moment to check out all of the decorations and I was so impressed. I took a few pictures of my favorites things. Oh and the theme was Circus.

I went to one High School formal when I was a teen and that was my Senior Prom. My friends and I decided to stay the night at one friends Aunts house the night before Prom so she could do our hair and make-up then we all met up with our dates and parents at another friends house for pictures. At the time I didn't think anything of it, choosing to get ready with friends and not have my family a part of the process. It was only much later that my Mom told me that she was a little hurt to be left out of the getting ready process and looking back I really wish I would have done things differently. So I was really happy when Kenedy asked me to do her hair and makeup. I thought briefly as I was getting her ready that I needed to ask someone to take a picture but it was a fleeting thought that never came to pass. I didn't take any pictures of her at home because I was planning on taking her pictures when I took her to the park to meet up with her group for pictures. As I was getting there with Kenedy and her friend Ashlynn looking for a place to park, Kenedy realized what I had in mind, staying and taking pictures, and informed me that it was a bad idea because nobody else would have their parents there and me being there would be really awkward. I was really hurt and didn't have much to say about that. I just dropped her off and went home. I regret doing that and wished I would have said too bad and insisted on staying for five minutes so I could take a few pictures myself. But I went home feeling sad, rejected and without any pictures. I called Kenedy and told her to make sure to get pictures of her hair and makeup because I really wanted some. I am thinking she forgot until after the dance because the pictures she sent me were clearly taken after she had done some partying.

I put fake lashes on her but even without the lashes this girl has some killer eyes! She is so beautiful and I had so much fun helping her get ready!

Shelby, Kenedy and Sydney 
Kenedy and Ashlynn
I did not hear a lot about the dance when I asked Kenedy about it but I know she had a really good time and I am glad that she was able to go, have fun and do it modestly.