Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Spring Break in McCall


Kenedy wanted to take some of her friends to the house in McCall for her birthday over Presidents Day weekend back in February. Because of all the snow days the kids had to go to school on Presidents Day and her plans were put on hold until Spring Break. 
Sunday night I met Alison halfway to Nyssa with Ryker, Avynlea and Rylee and she took them back with her to Nyssa to stay until Wednesday. When I got back home I finished getting things ready and at 5:00 Kefford and I headed off with Kenedy and 5 of her friends up to McCall. 
The next morning we got up, had breakfast and just hung out. At about 11:00 4 of the girls decided to go sledding and they got themselves ready and headed out. After about an hour I was laying on the couch when Anna came running in asking for Kefford, I could hear her telling him something about him being needed to help carry Lauryn up the hill because she got hurt so I pulled on my boots and ran down the driveway over to where they were sledding to help out while Kefford rode the four wheeler over. As I was going down the driveway I could hear some pretty horrific screaming and I got really worried. When I got to where the girls were I found Lauryn trying to get around the railing that was at the top of the hill, she was deathly pale and crying pretty hard. They were sledding with 4 of them on the sled and Lauryn was in front. As they were going down Lauryns foot got caught between the front of the sled and the snow and they all toppled forward, as she was falling forward she said she felt a pop on her ankle and then terrible pain. She had to first pull her foot up out of the snow where it was caught which was hard because it got buried pretty deep and then scootch back up the hill with the other girls trying to help pull her up. Kefford was able to get to her and he carried her back to the 4 wheeler and got her back up to the house. We had to get the boot off of her so we could see what we were dealing with and the poor girl was in a lot of pain and was doing some pretty good screaming. We called her parents to let them know what happened and that we were taking her to the emergency room. 

After the boot removal and before we left for the hospital I took this picture of the girls.
L-R Ashlyn, Anna, Emily, Hannah, Kenedy and Lauryn
Kefford and I took Lauryn in while the other girls waited back at the house. After talking to her Dad to get consent to treat we were taken back to an exam room and Lauryn was put on the bed with an ice pack. A Nurse came in to take all of her vitals and I thought it was cool that the bed was used to weigh her. After the Nurse  left Kefford sat on the bed so her could weigh the two of them together. It was Kilograms rather then Pounds so we did not really know how much weight it was but he had fun playing with it and it made Lauryn laugh.
X-Rays were taken and the Dr determined that she fractured her ankle and fitted her for a boot. I was so relieved that it wasn't anything worse. Her parents told Lauryn it was up to her as to whether she would stay or go home,  Lauryn really wanted to stay and Kefford and I were ok with that. 
When we got back the girls all decided to go in the hot tub. Lauryn put on her shorts and sat on the edge with her right foot in the water. I am glad she didn't have to have a cast because the boot enabled her to still be part of all the fun. 
That night we all sat around and played "werewolves", it was a lot of fun and these girls were making us laugh so hard. 


The next day Kefford and I took the girls to go swimming at the Hot Springs. Kenedy wanted to go to  Gold Forks Hot Springs in Donnely but it was closed on Tuesday so we took them to Zims Hot Springs in New Meadows. The girls had a lot of fun and Lauryn was able to take her boot off and go swimming as well. Kefford and I opted out of swimming and just sat and watched them. It would have been nicer to have been able to leave and do something else but there is not anything else to do in New Meadows so we were kinda stuck there. It wasn't bad though, I enjoyed watching them have fun. 

Hannah, Emily, Kenedy, Anna, Ashlyn and Lauryn

On our way back to McCall we passed the 45th Parallel so I made the girls get out for a picture.


After swimming we went to a pizza place in McCall so Kenedy could treat her friends to pizza with the money her Grandma gave her for her birthday for this purpose. It was a bit more money then we were expecting and I had to chip in a bit but it was not bad. 
When we got back we made s'mores and played "werewolves" till about 11:30 and I went to bed. I am not used to staying up so late but luckily I was able to sleep in a bit more then I usually do. Wednesday morning we cleaned everything up and after lunch packed up and headed home.

Kefford and i really enjoyed the time in McCall with these girls. They were fun and kind and it was nice to get to know them better. It would be fun to do this again in the summer when we could get outside more.