Sunday, March 12, 2017

Pocatello Road Trip!

Friday morning I kept Avynlea and Rylee home from school because we were going on a road trip to Pocatello! Every other year MHS Cheerleaders go to the cheer competition at Idaho State University in Pocatello and this was the year. Alison came with us and was gracious enough to be the driver, I would have driven but I am so glad she was willing because I would rather be a passenger any day! The ride down to Pocatello was pretty peaceful, we had our snacks, the girls had headphones to watch their movies, and I had good conversations with Alison. 

Alison had me call when we were a couple of hours away to check on our reservation at the hotel and find out when check in was. She then had me call when we were about 5 minutes away to see if we could have an early check in since we were about 2 hours early. They asked us if we had any room preference and we said we wanted to be close to the MHS Cheerleaders who were also staying at the Hotel. He told us that the cheerleaders cancelled their reservation which was pretty perplexing to me. I knew that if they made reservations at a different place Kara would have let us know, Kara being the head coach and pretty great at keeping parents informed. By this time we had arrived at the hotel and were waiting to find out what was going on. The guy at the desk was waiting for the manager to get back from lunch so she could figure it all out. I called Kenedy to talk to Kara since I did not have her number so that I could give her a heads up as to what was going on. Finally the manager got back and t turns out for some reason the computer cancelled the cheerleaders reservations and since the hotel was completely booked they could not stay their anymore. The manager felt so bad and was able to call the hotel across the street and get all of us rooms over there for the same low price. I am so happy it all worked out. 
Because we could not check in for an hour or so we decided to drive around Pocatello and explore. We found a Hobby Lobby and went inside for a little bit to walk around. I love Hobby Lobby and never pass up a chance to go inside.
We found some big letters hanging up and all I had to do was move one letter around to make it say Avy. The bottom picture has an r in it making it look like ravy, I did not notice until after that picture so I adjusted for the top picture.
and the girls found some cute shoulder accessories!
After we were finally able to get checked in the girls wanted to go swimming and so Alison and I looked at some family history on my computer while the girls had a blast in the pool. Switching to this hotel worked out in our favor because this pool was huge! SO much bigger then the other hotel pool and it had a 9 foot deep in which my girls loved and a basketball net that they enjoyed climbing on. The one downside is our rooms faced the pool which was fine but the humidity from the pool was pretty gross. Our carpet was perpetually damp and my wallet was wet just from sitting on the bedside table. 

After a couple of hours Sara and her friend Becca arrived from Idaho Falls to stay with us and go to the competition, Yay!
We went out to eat at Cafe Rio because we had buy one get one free coupons on all burritos and salads. My girls and I could not finish our meals and so we boxed them up and left them in the back of Sara's pickup over night and then put them inside Alison's Tahoe the next morning so we could eat them for lunch on the way home. Sara and Becca went to the store to buy a toothbrush because Becca forgot hers and they also picked up some poster board and paints to make posters for the competition. It is not a Pocatello competition without us bringing posted to embarrass our cheerleader. We found some cute ideas on Pinterest and I sketched them out and then Sara and Becca painted them. The next morning because of the humidity the glitter paint was not completely dry and the posters had curled a little on the edges. No problems they dried pretty quick once we got out of there and the curled edges uncurled as well.

While all of this was going on Avy and Rylee were getting pretty tired and Avy tried to keep herself awake by playing with my phone. At about 11:00 I took my girls to our room had them brush their teeth and then we read some scriptures and went to bed.

The next morning I got up and got ready and then had a hard time getting my girls up. They were so tired and wanted to stay in bed but we had to get moving in order to get to the competition. The hotel we were moved to did not have a free continental breakfast and so the manager at the other hotel told us we could go over there for breakfast, which we did. It was right across the street and it was ice to be able to get a free breakfast to start the day.
We made it to the competition and it was fun to watch all of the cheerleaders perform their routines. I noticed MHS was a little bit lackluster and were not as energetic as they could have been which was disappointing. Kenedy told me later that they didn't care about this competition and so they didn't try as hard. I think they should try at every competition because they are representing their school and their reputation. It was fun to watch anyway and I am glad that Sara could be their to see them since she lives further away and does not have the opportunity normally.


Rylee, Alison, Becca, Sara and Avynlea
We had fun taking pictures with Kenedy afterwards and then she had to get to her bus and we had to say goodbye to Sara and head home.

It was a fun weekend and I am grateful for the opportunities to support my kids, cheer them on in their endeavors and be with family!