Tuesday, January 27, 2009

three little girls!

(This is for you Heather)
There are nine kids in my family, 6 girls and 3 boys, Stephanie, Erin, Jeremy, Elizabeth, Heather, Emily, Joshua, Ashleigh and Andrew. Long before the last two or three were around or older, Heather, Emily and I were known as "the three little girls". We did not like it! We had matching dresses, matching quilts, matching hair. That I think we did like. I can't remember but I think it was fun to be matching, but the nickname we could do without. I am sure it was because we did not want to be classified as "little", we wanted to be mature and independent like our big sisters, we did not want to be "the three LITTLE girls".
Heather-5 1/2, Elizabeth-7, and Emily-3

So what do I do? I grow up, have three girls, and start making them matching dresses and eventually matching quilts. But I don't call them the "three little girls". Honestly I probably would if that was how it was, but with Kenedy being older and having Ryker between them it just doesn't work. And if I am to be completely honest sometimes I do call Avynlea and Rylee the "two littles". Not because I am trying make them feel young or like babies, but because sometimes it is just easier to say the "two littles" then their names. It isn't all of the time or even most of the time, but yes it is some of the time.
Having said all of that, I finished the dresses. Looking at the picture reminded me of that awful nickname and all of the memories associated with it. My girls love the dresses! They love matching and are excited for it to get warm enough to wear them to church. I had fun making them and am really proud with the new sewing skills I learned. I was tempted to leave off the pockets because they scared me but I did it and they look so much better with them. Now I am going to finish the quilts and they are excited for those as well.