Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Oregon Coast; Fishing

 On Tuesday Mark took us fishing. I wasn't keen on going but I thought I should give it a try and go with my family. In hind sight I should have just stayed back because I got so sick on that boat ride. I have been on boats before and have never gotten sick but this boat ride was an entire different boat ride. Mark drove us about 12 miles out into the open sea and I don't know how fast we were going but it was choppy and bumpy and I very quickly started feeling nauseous. I tried to hang in there though and once we arrived I took pictures and did my best to ignore the sickness in my stomach but it was not going away and it was getting worse. I think a combination of the boat rocking and watching Marks friend Doug cut his fish off the line and seeing the bloody knife and the bulgy eyes of the fish was a lethal combination for me. 








This certain type of fish is a fish that is illegal to be caught and so if you hook one you have to release it. Mark put him on a hook thing that lowers him back to the depths of the ocean but he was filled with air and bobbed back up to the surface and we watched him float away. The next illegal one he caught he poked him to let the air out and when he lowered him to the depths the fish stayed there. 

Kefford had a couple fish bite but he was not able to get them to stay on his hook long enough to bring them up.

Rylee on the other hand ws doing so good and caught a couple of fish, I was pretty proud of her and happy that she was doing so well.
I unfortunately was not getting better and I finally had to call it quits and ask Mark to take me back in. He kept telling me he would and so I finally took him up on his offer. When we got back to the dock Rylee and Kefford stayed back with me. Kefford was starting to get sick on the ride back and Rylee's arms were tired so they did not think it best to continue on. Mark dropped us off and he and Doug went back out and fished for a couple more hours, Debbie and Bouda, Marks Dog, met us at the dock and walked us back. 
Mark had some crab pots out in the ocean and he pulled those in and brought home some fresh crab for everyone to eat. He also brought home some sand dollars that had gotten in the crab pots and gave them to Rylee. 

Debbie cooked up the crab and I was game to ry them and cracking them open and pulling out the meat was kind of fun but I did not enjoy the crab. I tried it with butter and with some lemon and it just was not to my tasting. Kefford and Rylee loved it and I am glad they were able to eat some the fresh crab.

For dinner we walked over to the pizza place which also sold seafood and Kefford bought us all pizza to eat. We wanted to eat at the restaurant but it was closing so we got it to go. On our walk to get the pizza I got a picture of Rylee in front of the crab sculpture which was made from chainsaws and won first place in the chain saw sculpting contest a couple of years ago. We also saw the dock that was the resting place for a lot of seals The dock is off limits for people because it is home to all the seals so we couldn't get any closer to them.
I also had to get a picture of Rylee in front of this sculpture at the pizza place.