Thursday, December 1, 2016

Mole Removal take two

About a month and a half ago I took Ryker to the Dermatologist to have a mole looked at on his back. It was a suspicious mole and we were concerned about the look of it. The Dermatologist looked at it and said he would need to remove it. They numbed up his back and shaved the sucker off. They told us they were going to have the specimen looked at and that they would call if there was further action needed. A couple weeks later I did get a call saying that the mole was inspected by an expert in California and it did need to be further removed. So I had to take Ryker back in for the further removal of his little friend. I asked the nurse about what exactly the problem was and she said that basically the mole had cells in it that potentially could turn into melanoma and it really needed to have the deeper layers removed. His Dr drew around the area that needed to be removed and then after looking over his papers again decided he did not need to make it so big, so he redrew a smaller area.
After they shot his back up with the numbing medication I told Ryker it looked like he was beat up in that section, it was discolored, partly because of the iodine, and it was swollen. It basically looked really painful even though it wasn't because of the numbing.
His nurse asked Ryker what music/bands he liked to listen to and Ryker said Imagine Dragons and I said he also likes 21 Pilots although not as much as Imagine Dragons. The Dr took his iPhone and set it up to some speakers and had it playing 21 Pilots so that Ryker could concentrate on the music and keep his focus off of the cutting and sewing. It was a great idea and would have been helpful for anyone but Ryker. The poor kid could not stop focusing on the tugging on his back and was scaring himself imagining the horrible things they were doing to him. I think his imagination was working overtime and not in a good way. Luckily he kept his cool on the outside and I did not even know his thoughts until he told me as we were leaving. The poor kid.
I thought they did a good job on the stitches and everything went really quick. Ryker was really happy to have it over with fast
They had the section of flesh they cut out sitting in a sample cup and I don't know what possessed me to go over and take a look at it but I did and it grossed me out. So of course I had to take a picture of it so I can have it recorded for posterity. Yuck and kind of funny!