Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Christmas Cookies

This last Sunday was fast sunday and after we came home from church Avynlea and Rylee helped me mix up a batch of sugar cookie dough. They told me we could not bake the cookies until after we broke our fast because part of the fun of making cookies is eating the dough. I can get behind that!

They were good to help clean up any messes that might have been made. Let's be real, there was a lot of mess, two young girls working with flour and sugar, it got everywhere. Luckily they are good to help clean up the mess as well as they are in making the mess.
After dinner I blogged on my computer at the counter and supervised the girls rolling out the dough and cutting out their cookies. It was a bit of a sticky mess at first because they did not realize they needed to work more flour into the dough. I was able to coach them and show them how it was done and eventually they turned out some pretty good looking cookies.
Kenedy was feeling the hunger of the fast as well since while we were in the middle of making our dough she decided to make a treat for the family as well. Mint chocolate cookies.
After the cookies were baked I made everyone frost at least 6 since for some reason they did to want to do that part, weirdos. I told them to frost but not eat because we were going to watch the First Presidency's Christmas Devotional and then they could have a cookie after. Right before 7 we turned all of our Christmas lights on, we got the fireplace going, we turned off the house lights, set up my computer with the live stream and settled in the Living Room to watch the Devotional. I loved how cozy and Christmasy it felt during that time and loved watching the Devotional making it a great start to the Holiday Season. 
My favorite thought was when Elder Holmes talked about what if on Christmas morning we looked at all of the wrapped presents under the tree, wondered and contemplated what was inside of them and then walked away for the rest of the day. He compared that to how we treat the gifts from our Savior and challenged us to become better. I know I am getting things messed up but the essence of the message was thus and I hope to do better and become better.
Rylee played around with my hair during the broadcast and was pretty pleased with the three braids she made and then braided those into one braid. She had to take a picture so that i could see her handiwork.
After the devotional we all got to eat some of the delicious cookies that all three girls made. What a fun night and a wonderful start to our Christmas season!