Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Kenedys Turning Point and Awards Assembly

Tuesday June 3rd was Kenedys 8th grade Turning Point ceremony. I was told about it by Kenedy the day before and she really tried hard to get a hold of her Grandma so she could come. She was not able to get past her voicemail and so the next morning at about 8:30 I called her home phone to let her know about this ceremony that was happening that day and we needed to be there at 10:45. She really wanted to be there and said that she would see what she could do. I went to the Temple that morning to do my weekly Temple work and when I got out and checked my phone I saw a message from Alison that she was on her way! Yay! I hurried home and changed and then headed over to the Middle School to meet up with my favorite Mother-in-law and watch Kenedy's Turning Point. 

It was casual dress for the visitors but the 8th graders were all required to dress up. Kenedy wanted to wear my new skirt and I was a little hesitant about it because what if it looks so amazing on her and then when I try to wear it again, I just look pathetic? I decided to be nice despite my insecurities and let her wear my skirt and she did look really cute but I think I look super cute in it as well. We dressed it up differently and so hopefully I won't be compared. :)
Kenedy, Shelby, Hannah, Anna, Cassie, Lauren and Megan
It was really sweet to see all of these girls sitting together. Kenedy, Hannah, Lauren and Megan have been friends and going to school together since Kindergarten. Cassie joined up with them a couple of years later and then Shelby and Anna are new friends they met last year. It is so surreal to see these girls and to remember how far they have come, it really happened so fast going from Kindergarten to now. It is a bit sad because some of them are splintering off to go to different High Schools and I know Kenedy will feel the loss. She is especially sad to see Hannah going to a different school. These two have been together for so long and have been best friends for so long and are really feeling sad about the upcoming separation. I hope they can work to make their friendship last despite the distance apart.

After a bunch of speeches and talents were showcased, the kids were called up one by one. Their names were announced, they each did a cute little pose and then they went to turn on one light bulb on the light board, I assume to represent how bright their future is? Kenedy, Hannah and Shelby were the only ones of the friends to really pose so I only got pictures of them.
Hannah
Shelby
Kenedy




At the end the girls treble choir sang "You Raise Me Up" and it was really beautiful. I love that song so much!
Kenedy and Grandma Alison
Me and Kenedy
I wanted to take more pictures of Kenedy but she was being really uncooperative and it took a lot to get her to take a picture with me. She seemed to be in a hurry to leave and so I let her go even though I did not get the picture I wanted of just her. I would have also liked to have a picture redo of me and her since I think I look terrible, but, that did not happen so I have to live with it. Yech. 

The next day at 8:20 was the 8th grade awards assembly. I received a letter a little while ago saying Kenedy would be receiving an award so I hurried the kids that morning so we could get there and get seats. We all brought books to read while we waited and this was a cute sight to see.

The assembly began and they went through perfect attendance and other awards with no Kenedy being called. They had all of the kids who were in NJHS this year come up to be recognized but without any certificates. I thought that if I came out here to sit through all these awards and all Kenedy was going to get was to be recognized, I was going to be super annoyed. 

(I sent Avynlea up with the camera to take all of these pictures.)


Eventually they got to the PRIDE awards. Perseverance, Responsibility, Integrity, Determination and Excellence. These are a big deal because each teacher can only pick one student in all of their classes for each attribute. So a total of five students out of the hundred or so that they have. Kenedy received the award for Determination from her World Geo teacher and I thought that was a pretty cool award to get. 



Kenedy has had a really successful three years of Middle School. She worked hard and kept her grades up, she was involved in sports and clubs and she had fun. When I picked her up after school I could see her wiping away a tear and when she got in the car I asked her how her last day was. She said she had a terrible day because she was sad her Middle School years were over and she was going to miss it. 
I was really worried when Kenedy started 6th grade because I did not have the best experiences in Middle School and so I am so glad that her experience has been so much more positive. She is a great Kid and a beautiful girl and I love her lots! I find it hard to believe that I will have a freshman in High School living in my house but look forward to watching her learn and grow in High School.