Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Pops Concert and some exciting news!

Kenedy had her Pops Concert Thursday night which also happened to be the last Middle School Choir Concert of the year. The Lovely Ladies were doing Phantom of the Opera and were required to get a red, white, or black fancy dress to wear. Kenedy and I hunted at the DI and Goodwill for a dress and found a cute one at the Goodwill for $9.99. It was pretty big on her small frame but I was confident that we could make it work. 

Fast forward a month or two and now we need the dress to be fitted so she can wear it. I decided during those months that it was going to take skills beyond my own to alter that dress, it could cost money to get the dress altered and that I was not feeling the altering vibe anymore. So I did what anybody with  some creativity and safety pins would do. I had her put the dress on inside out and I safety pinned it to fit her. Once she turned it right side out again and put it on it was looking pretty good. She also needed something to wear to cover up her shoulders and rather then going out and buying a shrug of some sort I had her wear Rylees little sweater. Worked out great! Kenedy also had me do her hair in a cute little updo and then she was good to go. 

Avynlea had activity days to attend so Rylee and I went to the concert to drop Kenedy off and to save seats. Kefford and Ryker stayed home so that they could pick up Avy and then come to the concert. When I saw the program I was suddenly worried that this was going to take forever. But I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly things moved along. First the jazz choir came out and did songs from Grease, poodle skirts and all, the the manly men choir came and did Newsies, suspenders and newsboy hats galore. I loved that one seeing as how Newsies was once upon a time my favorite movie, I had a hard time not getting up on the stage and singing along with them. Obviously when I got home I got the soundtrack from iTunes and proceeded to play the heck out of those songs. So much so that my kids have been singing them all weekend. We even did our movie night friday night and watched Newsies. We had the VHS but Kefford bought it for me on BluRay so I could watch Christian Bale singing and dancing in High Definition. It was fantastic!

Anyway, after the Newsies, the lovely ladies came out and did their Phantom of the Opera. They also sang at the end of their set Let it Go from Frozen and then per tradition for the end of the year concert sang You Raise Me Up. It was a great concert, I loved it and am glad that Kenedy was able to do choir for all three years of Middle School. She has really enjoyed it and has had great experiences.
Shelby, Hannah and Kenedy
The Phantom gave all of the girls roses at the end and so I had Kenedy do some posing for pictures with it. 

The week of the concert was also the week of High School cheer tryouts. Kenedy decided she wanted to try out and has been going to cheer open gym and practicing a lot. It was a three day process with learning routines on tuesday and wednesday and then the actual tryout on thursday. Kenedy was so nervous and worried about it but I kept telling her to try really hard and do her best. As I dropped her off on thursday she was really feeling the nerves so I told her good luck, that I loved her and then gave her a little love note of encouragement to boost her up a little bit more. 

When I picked her up later she said that she felt like she did good but was not sure. The results were being posted online but she was not sure when. So after we got home from her choir concert I told her she might as well see if anything got posted. She found the site and sure enough there were the results, she scrolled down a little and saw...
her name!!!! She immediately jumped up and hugged me and was so excited. Yay for Kenedy!!!! It was a really happy day!

The face of a new JV Cheerleader!