Sunday, May 18, 2014

Out with the dot, In with the stripe

Last Wed I took Avynlea in to her Dr so he could take x-rays and evaluate how her arm is doing. Because he has been such an awesome Dr and so good to Avy she wanted to bake him brownies. So she did, the morning of, and wrote him a nice note and delivered it to him during her appointment. He was super happy and excited and it is always fun to make someones day. 

So after looking at her x-rays he decided everything looked really good and how it should be. He showed us on the x-rays where the screw is in her elbow and pointed out how everything was healing. 

He also said that since her swelling has gone down her cast is much too roomy inside and so they needed to give her a new one. Yay for a new cast! Avy has only had the other one for about a week but with all the signatures and people handling it it was getting a little yucky. She was very happy to get a new, smaller one. 

First the Nurse brought in the cast remover. It has a blade but she said it will only cut the cast. It would not cut the skin even if it touched it and she proved this by touching it with her finger while it was turned on. I was amazed and asked her how that could be but she didn't even know. It will remain a mystery. 



Her poor arm was so sad and bruised. From her angle Avy could not see the bruises but after I took the picture I showed her what it looked like and she was pretty shocked. It looks like she got beat up during her surgery. 


They could not do polka dots again, that is reserved for surgeries since they need more then two people to do it because of logistics and timing and all that, so instead she got a cool stripe. I love the bright colors and Avy was pretty pleased with it too!
They let her keep her old cast and I thought Avy looked pretty funny walking through the hospital with one arm casted and the other holding a cast.

She is so stinking cute!

After her appointment was over we went down to the pharmacy because I wanted to ask what I should do with her leftover pain pills. We had quite a few left and I knew I shouldn't flush them and I knew not to just throw them away. The pharmacist told me I needed to take them to the Sheriffs department. I had time and so on the way home we did just that. Avy really wanted to go with me to do this and since they were her pills I let her come. At the Sheriffs department they led us behind locked doors and took us into a locked room to put her bottle of pills in a lock box. She said that once the lock box was full they take it and put it in the evidence room. I thought that was pretty cool. I was really wondering what they did with the pills that were turned in and now I know, as do you, you're welcome. :)