Monday, February 28, 2022

Elder Peterson Week 25

Last Friday, after district council, we started our second exchange for the transfer. I went to Bridge City with Elder Gale and Elder Fisher took my spot in Port Arthur. Elder Gale and I went to help a very nice lady move. It wasn't bad at all, cause she was moving within her apartment complex. Brother Williams, from our ward, showed up to help as well. I almost got crushed carrying a couch up some stairs, but thankfully I survived. It's a good thing I'm built like a pro wrestler, it made everything go by very quick. Eventually I was just carrying everyone else on my back while they held stuff, so very convenient. 
After the service we went and knocked on a couple doors and set up some appointments. The next morning we went biking around in the disgustingly cold morning. We talked to a really nice guy and we were able to share our testimonies with him. He seemed pretty interested in meeting again. Then around lunch time we ended the exchange back at our apartment.
It was a great time, I enjoy working with Elder Gale, he's a very hardworking kid and he is very obedient. Important qualities a lot of people lack in.

This weekend we also had stake conference, which went awesome. Saturday night Elders Gale, Fisher, Child, and I got a ride to the stake center in Beaumont with the Carters, an awesome family in our ward. The conference was really good, President and Sister Larkin spoke. So did Elder Curtis, the church's historian. I also got to see Maecy, a friend from when I went to BYU last summer. She actually had put her papers in and she got called to serve in the Orlando, Florida mission speaking spanish. I'm pretty sure that's the same one as Matthew, so that's cool! I also got to talk to her a little bit after the Sunday session, so I got to wish her luck. All of us Twin City ward missionaries sang in the choir for the Sunday session. I have no idea how well I did, but people were saying we sounded good. So I guess I didn't do too bad. The conference was great and I got to learn a lot about the history of the Beaumont Stake. 

Elder Child and I have not had a lesson in a while. The first one in about a week was Friday I think. We went and taught Manuel about our purpose on Earth and how we can have true joy in this life. We also brought him a large print Book of Mormon. We re-commited him to read the scriptures. He told us all he really does all day is watch tv, so he really has no excuse. We didn't say that exactly, but we made that point. He said that now he can read the print, he will read with his wife. PLEASE Manuel. Please.

It hasn't been very discouraging for me that we haven't had much success lately. I can't speak for Elder Child though. We have been pressing forward and doing our best to meet with people. A lot of people are changing their work schedules, not answering their door or phone, or they're in jail. Sad. What's been really nice though is that I can once again confidently say that I am working hard. I'm sharing my testimony, I'm approaching rather unaproachable people, and I am praying A LOT. In the end, that stuff is just about all I can do. I'm watching and praying for opportunities to teach or serve people and I know that they'll come eventually. I have been serving a mission for 6 months now. It feels like just last week that I entered the MTC. I have learned more about the Gospel than I ever knew. My testimony has increased tenfold and my faith is up there as well. I don't share this to brag, but as Alma said: "I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy." (Alma 29:9) I have done my best to be an instrument in the hands of God and I feel that I have. I know that greater things await and that through these trials I am simply being refined. My knowledge and testimony of the Gospel is going to increase and I will become a greater instrument. This work truly is of God and I know that good things can be done, even through a skinny kid from Idaho. For now, I work hard and have patience. Tomorrow the Lord "will proceed to do a marvelous work among this people, yea, a marvelous work and a wonder." Have faith, and press foward.

Have a great week, I pray for y'all

-Elder Peterson

1) A horse I taught in desperation. He's a good guy. I named him Caballo.
 2) I forgot to mention TLC. Elder Child did good and afterwards we went to Buc'ees