Saturday, October 2, 2021

Homecoming Dance

Saturday night was the Homecoming dance. Avynlea was really anxious about it and was not really wanting to go anymore. We did our best to hype her up and keep her positive and it worked. Arin Lamb did her nails for her which was fun and I did her har while she did her own makeup. She wore the dress that Kenedy wore to Homecoming her senior year and it fit her perfectly, I think it fit even better than it fit Kenedy. I told Avynlea since she was using a dress we already had the I would buy her new shoes for the dance. Unfortunately she forgot to look for shoes and Thursday had me going around to all the shops looking for silver flats without any success. I finally told Avynlea that she was going to have to wear the silver flats that Kenedy left when she went to college. I am glad we had those, they were actually the same shoes Kenedy wore with this dress so it all worked out, thank heavens!
Once she was all ready we took a few pictures, Avynlea did not want me to take a lot so I didn't. 






Kyle came to pick her up at about 5:20. He was supposed to come at 4:45 then he changed it to 4:50 than 5:00 then 5:15 and finally he arrived at 5:20. I had to get to the school to help with getting the shoe check I was in charge of ready and had to be there at 5:30. I couldn't wait any longer and had just opened the garage door to leave when he finally showed up. I took a picture of Avynlea trying to pin on his boutonniere and then I left when Kefford took over because she was struggling. I knew I would see them at the dance so while I didn't want to leave it was ok cause I was going to see them later.
They met up with his friends group to get pictures and it was a big group. Avynlea didn't know most of them but she did know Ellie who is on the cheer team with her and I know Avynlea was glad to have a friend in the group. Ellie is the redhead on the end in the burgundy dress. At the dance I saw Avynlea a couple times. Once when they first arrived and I talked with her and Kyle for a minute. She said pictures went well but most of the pictures were taken of the other kids which was fine. Later I saw her with Ellie and they said they were having a really great time and were dancing in the middle where all the fun was being had. 



At the end of the dance all the cheerleaders had to stay after to clean up. Clean up takes a lot less time then setting up and we were all done within a half hour. Avynlea and Ellie both felt bad about their dates having to stay while they cleaned up but the guys were good sports about it and didn't mind it. When Avynlea was apologizing to Kyle later about it he said it was not a big deal and he didn't have to pay for tickets to the dance so it was all fine. Since this event is put on by cheer the girls and their dates get free tickets so it is good business to take a cheerleader to the dance.
After clean up we were finally able to get a picture of Avynlea, Natalie and Paige.

Whether the dance is in the gym(freshman year) or on the turf(this year) the girls are not allowed to wear any type of heel for fear of damage to the floor or turf. Freshman year the shoe check was a mess and there was not any organization and no order to how or where the shoes were placed. When all the kids started coming in at the end of the dance to get their shoes it was a scavenger hunt trying to find the right shoes and was so stressful. This year Amy and I took over the shoes check and I came up with a system that worked perfectly. Before the dance we taped the ticket to the bleachers and then as the girls would give us their shoes we would put them in order rip off half the ticket and give it to them. We had order and organization and finding their shoes at the end of the night was a breeze. Diana called Amy at the beginning of the night to see if we needed help and I told her yes, it worked really well with the three of us and was the perfect amount.
Diana, Amy and Elizabeth