Thursday, May 13, 2021

Dole Plantation, Pearl Harbor and Hilton Lagoon

We were able to get tickets to tour the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor the day before so today we were excited to be Abe to go and do that. Brit and I both reserved our own families tickets and I picked the 2:00 time because I knew we wanted to either go snorkeling or visit the Dole Plantation first and I didn't want to worry about rushing while Brit got the 12:45 time. 
We were not able to get reservations to go snorkeling on this day so we decided to go visit the Dole Plantation. It didn't open until a little later so Brit and Kelsey suggested we go visit some ruins. They were not too sure of where to go and once we found the general spot to start the hike through the woods we parked and ventured in. Kefford, Ryker and Kenedy stayed back because we were venturing through trees and shrubs and growth and not on a trail. I didn't think we were going the right way but Brit had it pulled up on her google maps and said we were so I trusted her and her google maps. After a but of hiking through the underbrush I definitely knew we were not going the right way. I told them that and said there should be a trail. It was about then the we all realized while we were hiking through the forrest we could still hear the highway and we knew we were wrong and not going anywhere. 
We climbed out of the jungle and sure enough we were bout a hundred yards up the road from where Kefford was who said they found the trailhead. Classic.
E all got on the trail and very quickly found the ruins that we were searching for. It was nice and cool being in the jungle and seeing the ruins was fun but I got a little scraped up from the trekking we were doing before we figured out what we were doing and those scratches hurt. There was not a lot to see and after taking some pictures we went on our way.





Avynlea was wanting to take some pictures of herself on the cool highway and Kenedy took some pictures  of her getting set up.

We still had some time when we were done with the ruins so we found some botanical gardens to explore. 
We didn't stay too long because most of us did not need to see more gardens. There were some cool plants and Avynlea enjoyed taking more pictures of Nature while Rylee enjoyed posing with the cool camel. 










After the botanical gardens we headed over to the Dole Plantation. There was a long line for the train tour so we got in line to wait and hoped it would go quick...spoiler alert...it did not. First we had to wait in a line to buy tickets and then we had to wait in a line to get to the platform for the train. Once we were able to get through to get on the platform we had to wait in another line for the train to arrive. In all I think we waited about 2 hours possibly and probably more. Before we even made it to the platform Kelsey and Brit had to leave with their kids so they could make their time for Pearl Harbor, I was glad that I booked a later time so we didn't have to rush. While the guys waited in line us girls went into the gift shop to look around. We had to wait in a line to do that as well but luckily it wasn't as long. I was in the front of our group and when we were let in I set off and started looking around. It wasn't until I was almost done in there that I realized Kenedy and Avynlea were still not in the shop. They were at the back of our pack and right before it got to them they were stopped because the shop had reached capacity. Finally they were let in and they got to look around. Rylee bought herself a little pineapple stuffy and I think Kenedy got a t-shirt. I bought some pineapple candy and ornaments and then I got our family some Dole Whip. The Dole Whip was not super cheap but the sizes were big and we got served a lot. If I had known how big they were I would have bought three so we could all share. Live and learn I guess.
We got back outside and the line was trekking along. I liked seeing the coy fish and the little pineapple plants were cute. When we finally got on the train we quickly realized it was not worth the wait at all and if we had know how lame the tour was was would not have waited in that long line. Going through the gift shop was great, seeing the cute pineapple plants and the coy fish was great, and eating the Dole Whip was great, waiting in the line was not great and the train tour was not great. Oh well, I am still glad we went and did it because I would have always wondered.









Finally we got to get to return to Pearl Harbor and tour the USS Arizona. I love American History and I love having pride in our country and pride in the men and women who sacrifice all to give us the freedoms we have. Brit bought the audio walking tour headphones and devices for her family and when we met up with them after their tour but before ours they gave us the headsets to use. I like having them just to hear more information about that day. We took a boat out to the memorial and were told that this was an active cemetery and we needed to be respectful while there. I did not know that the men and women who died on the ship that day were never recovered and their bodies are still down there making it an active cemetery. Also, the few who worked on that ship and were there that day who did not die are cremated when they die and their ashes are placed in the ship as well. I think that is really neat that they are laid to rest with the men and women they served with. There is oil still leaking from the wreckage but because it is a cemetery they do not try to clean it up and don't do anything to damage or ruin the integrity of the site.  Walking around the memorial, reading the names of those who have perished, seeing the tops of the smokestacks in the water and reflecting on what happened that day was so emotional and felt so spiritual. I really believe the spirit is so strong in these sacred spots and am so grateful to have been able to have experienced it. 
Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona memorial were a highlight of our Hawaii trip for me and I am so glad we were able to make it happen. In the gift shop I bought a tank top and Ryker got a shirt and hat. 
















I think the girls were a little tired by the time we were done.
After we were done we wanted to check out the Hilton Lagoon so our family headed over that way. We had our swim stuff already in the car because my motto is be prepared so we were able to go and change in the car when we got there. 
Ryker didn't want to swim and Kefford couldn't but the rest of us wanted to try out the manmade lagoon. It was cold and the bottom hurt our feet so we didn't swim but did stand in it for pictures. It wasn't as much fun as we would have hoped. Kelsey was going to bring his family to join us but we told them not to bother.
We did see a beautiful Hawaiian rainbow over the lagoon which was fun and magical.


And Kenedy and Avynlea made sure to get some pictures of themselves and the beautiful scenery.