Sunday, April 23, 2017

Meridian Prom!

Earlier in the week we found out that Kefford's Great Uncle Dean lost his battle with cancer and passed away. I am sad that he is gone but am grateful that we made the effort to go and see him even though we couldn't see him. I know Aunt Kathy told him we stopped by and that he knew we tried. I didn't know him as well as Kefford , obviously, or even my kids but I liked visiting with him the times I was able to and appreciate how generous he was with us in letting us use his RV the times that he was able to. It was a really nice funeral and I enjoyed hearing the stories of his wild days. I never really knew about all of his struggles but hearing about them made me appreciate and love him all the more for how far he has come and for his example. It was nice to see and visit with family whom we rarely get to see and also to visit with the ones we are blessed to see a lot more of. 
Kenedy was not able to come because it was Prom and she had a day date with her Prom date. The other three kids came and I took a picture of the four of us waiting for Kefford in the car to go home.
 The thing to do out here and maybe in many other places is to go on a day date the day of Prom. Kenedy's date and the other guys in the group, I assume, decided to take the girls paint balling. I thought it was a crazy activity for a date right before Prom but Kenedy went and had a lot of fun. No visible bruises thank heavens!
When I got home from the funeral Kenedy had me do her hair and make-up. She decided that she wanted her hair down for this dance with big loose curls. I curled her hair and while it was cooling I braided a headband in her hair to make it more fancy. After I was done with that I finger combed her hair and then did a lot of teasing and spraying with hair spray. 
I think she is better at doing make-up then I am but she wanted me to do her eyeshadow so I picked the colors and got to work. When I was done she went over it making it a little more dramatic because she said I use a very light hand when applying. I agree I do, I am too afraid to go too extreme so I keep it really light. I need to practice more dramatic makeup applications for the future.

Her dress we bought online from a boutique that I have been getting our church dresses from. They advertise their clothing as modest and beautiful and I agree. I love the dress she chose and was really happy with the price and overall look. It was perfect and she looked beautiful wearing it. This was the only formal dress they had with different color options and I hope they get more selections for formals because I really don't want to deal with the hassle and frustrations of looking anywhere else. Modest, low priced formals are hard to find unfortunately.

As Kenedy was walking across the room to where I was so I could take some pictures suddenly the way she was walking reminded me of her when she was little and it made me get really emotional. It was almost like a flashback to seeing her as a little girl again, kind of like how they do in the movies. It is so bittersweet watching Kenedy get older and knowing that soon she will be gone. I love watching her be able to have these life experiences but it is so surreal and feels like I was just at my Prom. One more reminder of how fast time goes by and to appreciate all the moments when they happen. I managed to choke back my tears but not before they were noticed and it was a little embarrassing.  

Before Kody came to pick her up Kefford showed Kenedy some video on youtube of how to pin on boutonnieres. She got the gist and was able to pin it on him with only a few tries.

Getting her wrist courage on was a little tricky because Kenedy had fingernails glued on that she was not used to. She bought a pack of fingernails from Claires and I told her they were never going to stay on. Avynlea reassured both of us that she had some really strong nail glue from when she had fingernails that would work really well. I was pleasantly surprised when it worked and Kenedy's nails stayed on. She took them off for paint balling but put them back on after for the dance. 

 I am glad that Kody asked Kenedy to Prom. I really like him, he is a sweet boy and very kind. They make a really cute couple, but they are just good friends. :) Kefford was looking at Kody's suit and mentioned that he thought they might have the same suit. Kody asked if he got his at JC Penneys which Kefford did. It was the same suit, so funny!