Thursday, May 23, 2019

Avynlea's Turning Point Ceremony

Avynlea had her 8th Grade Turning Point Ceremony about a week before school got out. I thought it was a little strange for them to have what is essentially a graduation ceremony when they still had finals to take but I don't make the calendar. I was helping Cyndi that morning put stuff away from our dance recital the week before and so by the time I got to the school for the ceremony there was a line out the front door. Alison arrived before I did and she had a place in line saved right by the doors. When it was time to go in the line was almost to the parking lot, it was pretty crazy but I was so happy we were in line closer to the front. There were only two of us so when we finally got inside I managed to find seats in the second row on the side. I was pretty excited with how close we were to the front. There was an extra seat next to us which I saved for Sadie Niblett's Mom. She didn't know I was saving her a seat so I searched the audience until I found her.
Avynlea's jazz choir performed a couple of songs and it was fun for her to have one last middle School performance. 
After way too many speakers and musical numbers it was time for the turning point. They announce each kids name and then they go over to the light board, turn on a light and then make their way past all of the 8th grade teachers and go back to their seats. 
After Avynlea had her name read she went to turn on a light and had a bit of a struggle finding a bulb that would turn on. The poor thing, she kept trying and trying until she finally got one lit. Once she was done she headed past the teachers. This is my favorite part of the entire ceremony. I love watching the teachers congratulate and hug their students. It is always such a good feeling to see how much these teachers love your child. 
After the ceremony was over I took pictures of Avynlea with her bestie Sadie and then some pictures of her on her own and then with me and Alison.



Avynlea asked if she could have a new dress for her turning point and so I took her to Kohls where she tried on a bunch of dresses that were too short or too low cut. While she was in the changing room I went looking for some more outfits and found a really cute pencil skirt and top for her to try on. She loved them and they looked so cute on her and she was pretty excited with the new outfit.