Wednesday, May 20, 2015

4th grade rendezvous

A couple of weeks ago Avynlea brought home her permission slip for 4th grade Rendezvous and asked me if I would go with her as a chaperone. She really wanted me to but I was not thrilled with the idea. I went with Kenedy when she was in 4th grade and it was so cold and not fun that I swore I would never do it again. I knew she was really wanting me there and I also know that my volunteering this year has tapered off and as a 5th grader next year there really won't be any volunteering on my part. So I checked the weather for that day and saw that it was going to be in the low 70's, I totally can handle that so I said I would do it. As the days went by I would check the weather for that day and every day would see the weather forecast dropping,  I was not happy but really could not back out. Finally the day arrived complete with rain clouds, 50 degree temps and rain. Ugh! Not excited at all, but Avy was and so I put on a fake brave face. 


In 4th grade our kids learn all about Idaho History and Rendezvous is when all the 4th graders in the district come together at Meridian Middle School and go to different stations having to do with Idaho History. It is actually really fun and a cool thing for the kids to participate in. I think I heard that there were about 3,000 4th graders there! yikes! It started off cold but not rainy and the kids got to rope cows. 


 soon after the first couple of stations the rain had arrived. Us smarty pants wore rain boots! Me, Avynlea and her friend Paige. I am so glad we were at least smart enough to do that because everyone else had cold and wet feet by the time the day was done.
They got to throw spears with an atlatl. The kids really loved that one. They also got to pan for gold, listen to High School Drama students role-play Lewis and Clark, that one was pretty funny, Learn about canal and boat safety by a coast guard who was there with his boat, see the skins of mountain lions and bears and other animals, buy items at the trading post and lots more things. I was cold and complaining in my head about the weather but the kids were such good sports and just went with it and had fun. 



Rylee, Paige and Avynlea
Unfortunately ;) I had to leave right before lunch to go to a "Dance Meeting". We needed to debrief about the recital and go over some things while we ate lunch from Costa Vida that our boss brought us. Then she took us to get pedicures as a thank you for all of our hard work. Definitely I have the best boss in the world!

The next day Kenedy and I went shopping with the gift card she got me for Mothers Day. I found these adorable sandals among other things. 
Ryker and Avynlea went to Nyssa for the weekend and so Kefford and I took Kenedy and Rylee out to eat for a fun treat. Rylee cracks me up with her posing.