Saturday, July 20, 2019

Garth Brooks Concert

Cheer parents were given the opportunity to work the Garth Brooks concert to earn money for our kids cheer accounts. I thought it sounded like fun and asked Kefford if he wanted to do it with me. He said he would do Saturday but he couldn't do Friday. I didn't want to do it alone so I asked my friend Cristal if she would want to do it. She is the best friend and immediately agreed to it. We worked the front gate security and it was hard but it was fast paced. It was hard in that we had to tell people when they couldn't bring things in and people were not happy when their purses were too big to bring in or when they had to leave behind food, blankets, stadium seats and other items. When we were finished with that they had us walk around by the food court and watch for drunks. We walked together and spent the time chatting it was actually quite fun to hang out with her. I am so thankful for a friend like her who doesn't even hesitate about spending her time helping us. She is the best!
Saturday Kefford and I were supposed to help again at the gate and got retrained and everything but when we took our little water break before we were supposed to be at our post we were snagged and told to come work inside. We told them that we already had an assignment but he pulled rank and said we were going with him, nothing we could do about it so we went. We were assigned to stand by the floor seating and check the tickets of everyone passing through to make sure they had the right ticket. It wasn't as fast paced as my gate assignment was but it was fine. I had quite a few guys, drunk and not so drunk, hitting on me which was annoying. I did have a good view of two ladies sitting or trying to sit in the bleachers but they were so drunk they could nt even sit up straight and kept falling over. They put on quite the entertaining show for me until they got up and staggered out never to return. I will never understand the appeal of spending so much money on a concert ticket only to get so plastered that you don't remember the show or leave before it begins. What a waste.

Once the show started our replacements showed up so that Kefford and I could leave. We were not scheduled to work the entire night, been there done that the night before and I wanted to get home. 
Kefford wanted to stick around until Garth Brooks came out so he could at least tell people he saw him so I reluctantly agreed, I was so tired, but if he hurried out I wouldn't have to wait long. Kefford was able to figure out where he was going to enter the stadium and we made our way over to that area and started helping put up the tunnel for Garth Brooks to walk though. No one questioned if we were supposed to be there they just saw the yellow shirts and let us do what we wanted. Those shirts gave us a lot of power and freedom. 
Once the tunnel was put up, it was basically pic pipes and curtains, we stayed in there and held the curtains closed so nobody could peak in. Eventually Mr Garth Brooks himself came through with all of his entourage. He stopped right by Kefford and I could see them talking but I couldn't hear what they were saying. Finally I saw Kefford give him a pat on the back and then Garth Brooks continued on and got himself up on the stage.

After we were done and Kefford got more then a glimpse of Garth Brooks we headed out. As we were leaving I asked Kefford what they talked about and he said Garth Brooks looked nervous so he asked Garth if he was nervous and Garth looked at him and said he was scared out of his mind. So Kefford patted him on the back and said "you got this". Words of encouragement from Kefford.