Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Cheer Camp!

A couple of weeks before cheer camp the cheerleaders got their Big Sister/Little Sister assignments. When Kenedy was a Junior she had Hannah Everman as her cheer little Sister. Hannah is now a senior and she was assigned to be Avynlea's Big Sister. I love that she can be her Big Sis and how cute it is to come full circle.

Cheer camp always has a theme and this years theme was "welcome to the jungle" On the last night the cheerleaders are supposed to dress in a costume related to the theme and then they have a fun themed party. Avynlea decided she wanted to dress up as a Giraffe which I thought was a cute idea especially once I saw the pictures she found on Pinterest as inspiration. We talked over what she wanted to do and while she was at Girl's Camp I spent the week hunting for a cream or tan colored shirt to paint Giraffe spots on. I looked at so many different stores and was not able to find anything similar to what we needed. I was so frustrated and getting pretty nervous until I found the perfect shirt at Fred Myers. Thank heavens for Fred Myers. Avynlea loved the shirt and she loved the pocket and did not want any spots covering the pocket. While she was putting together Hannah's big sister gift and love note jar I started painting the shirt. I started drawing a couple of spots and them painting them in which worked but was a little tedious so I stopped that and just free handed it. As I was working on it I asked Avynlea if it was Ok and she said she loved it and that I was doing a great job. I worked on it for two days and was really happy with how it turned out. More importantly Avynlea was really happy with how it turned out and her 'Thank You for Painting my shirt" was music to my ears and made me really happy
They were leaving for cheer camp Sunday at noon and since that was right in the middle of our sacrament meeting Avynlea and I went to the Verona Ward for Sacrament meeting. It was a really good meeting and I really loved the speakers, I am glad that we went to their Ward that day.
When the time came I took Avynlea to the bus and got her stuff unloaded from the car while she went to get her cheer shoes and camp shirts from her coaches. Once we shoved everything in we loaded her suitcase under the bus and I gave Avynlea a hug and watched her climb aboard. A couple of minutes after she got on she came back off and came over to tell me that all of the other cheerleaders were telling her that while she was at Girls Camp it was announced at practice that she was one of the new JV team co-captains! I was shocked!
When Avynlea brought home the paperwork to all out in the hopes of becoming cheer captain I told her it was fine to try but to not expect it too much because she is only a Freshman and I couldn't imagine them choosing a Freshman. I guess I was wrong. I was really excited for her and I knew she was super excited, what a great start to cheer camp!
Avynlea and Hailey and Andreya, Hailey and Avynlea
When I got home I couldn't stop thinking about her being one of the Co-captains and I wondered if they might have sent her an email to let her know the news. When I checked her email I found the message from her coach letting her know that she is one of 4 co-captains for the JV team. Two of the other ones are Juniors, the third is a sophomore and then there is Avynlea the Freshman. I know she will be a great leader and I am happy that her coach's recognized that skill in her as well!
On Wednesday I picked Avynlea up from the school and was so excited to hear all about how camp was. Avynlea did not have a camera with her and she had her friends send some of the pictures they took.
In the blue tank picture Avynlea is kneeling in the middle row 7 girls from the right
In the white shirt picture Avynlea is kneeling in the front row and is the 2nd girl from the right.

In the stunt picture Avynlea is the flyer in the first group on the left.
Coach Kara sent a picture of the girls on the bus traveling home and Avynlea is in the back on the left. She and her friend Natalie slept on the floor of the bus on the way home. 
I really wanted a picture of Avynlea in her Giraffe costume and the only picture they took was after the party so Avynlea looks a little bit of a mess. Still so super cute though! She said she got a lot of compliments on her costume and everyone loved her outfit!