Monday, July 10, 2017

A Tale of a Bee Sting

On Saturday we had an anniversary party to go to for my friend who was celebrating 40 years with her husband. We decided to go swimming before the party and after a fun hour of pool time Heather and I went back home to shower and get ready for the party. We walked in the house and as I was passing through the kitchen I felt a sting on my arm. I looked down and realized I just got stung by a bee. It was the second time that week of getting stung. The first time was on the Monday and I was walking through the grass barefoot when I got stung on the bottom of my foot. We put some numbing creme on my foot and after a little bit the pain went away and it was fine. The sting on my arm hurt but it didn't hurt as bad as when it happened on my foot so I didn't really bother with the numbing creme although I did apply aloe which has some numbing agents so maybe that helped a little. It didn't really bother me for the rest of the night.
We went to the party which was a fancy outdoor swimming party at there neighborhood country club. The kids went swimming and loved it because this pool had a diving board. I have to admit that I got a little bit jealous watching them swim because it was hot! Basically we sat there and ate dinner as we sweated. It was really good food and I had really good company to hang out with so I was able to tolerate the heat.
Dessert was delicious mini cupcakes and Avynlea was giving hers a sniff when I bumped her arm to leave frosting on her nose.
 Still a cutie even with a nose covered in frosting.
I woke up Sunday morning and my arm was hurting where the bee stung me as I was checking it out I noticed I had a big circle of red around it and the site of the sting had pus coming out of it. I knew that was not normal and throughout the morning just kept checking on it. I needed to take some benedryl which I ran out of when Rylee had hives the other week so I sent a text to Mikell asking if she had any I could use. She did but we were on our way to church so I decided to have Kenedy pick it up for me after church while I was at my Trek meeting. 
Pretty Kenedy

I drew a circle around the redness before church and during church I went into the bathroom to check on my arm and saw that the redness had spread. I was concerned but assumed that once I got the Benadryl I would be alright. After church Kefford and I had to go to a Trek meeting. This meeting included more people other then just the Ma's and Pa's who were the only ones at the other meetings. My neighbor Sue Jardine came in and sat down next to me. I was surprised since I didn't know she was going on Trek. I asked her what role she was taking on and she said she was going as medical. I was again surprised not knowinf=g she was in the medical field and I asked her what her job was and she said she was a Nurse Practitioner. At that point the meeting had started so I had to stop talking but I thought during the meeting I needed to talk to her about my sting, Heather even nudged me and told me I should ask her about it. As soon as the meeting was over I turned to Sue and explained to her what had happened, I showed her the pictures on my phone I had taken of the besetting and then showed her my arm. After all of the explaining I said I was going to take some Benadryl as soon s I got home and asked her if that would take care of it. The look on her face was one of deep concern and she started shaking her head. She let me know that I had an infection called cellulitis and that I had to get on antibiotics immediately. She also said that she would send in a prescription for me that way I wouldn't have to go to the Dr. Heather and I went to War-Mart to get my medication and I got a prescription for a weeks worth of pills that I had to take four times a day every day until they ran out. I thanked Sue profusely and she let me know that it was a good thing I talked to her because I could have been very sick had I not gone on the antibiotics. I am always grateful for the Tender Mercies that I recognize come from my Heavenly Father.

These pictures are the ones I took of my arm. The top left was right after I was stung, the bottom left was the next morning, the top right was before church and the bottom right was during church.
We did find the bee that stung me and caused all the havoc, He was dead on the window sill, stinking bee.