Monday, January 17, 2011

T'was the Night Before Christmas

The day before Christmas was a very relaxing kind of day. Kefford had the day off and it was nice to have him home with us. That has not always been the case in the past and so I really enjoyed having him around. We spent the day hanging out, playing the wii, and playing with each other. I also took a little time to lock myself in the computer room to wrap up the stocking gifts. At one point Kefford and I ran to the store because I was running low on tape but it was a quick jaunt. Kenedy called while we were on our way back and asked when we were going to be home Kefford told her an hour and she said OK and hung up. I was immediately suspicious. As soon as we walked into the house Ryker was on the couch and when he saw us he jumped up and ran into the kitchen and banged on the sliding glass doors. We followed and saw the girls outside. Upon questioning Ryker on his odd behavior he finally spilled the beans that Kenedy was trying to climb onto the roof and she had told him that he better not tell on her..or else..:0/ Kefford got the girls inside and lectured Kenedy about her behavior and then lectured Ryker about listening to someone who is threatening them. Seriously these kids sometimes! Whatever though, we all got past it and finally it was time to get ready to settle down for the night. We got everyone together and watched a video on the Nativity which was really great and then we gathered the kids together around the Christmas tree to open their pajama gift. I made them their pajamas this year and they turned out really cute. I could not find a solid colored shirt to match the pajama bottoms I made for the two little girls but I did find the exact colors i needed in shirts that had prints on them. So I bought the shirts and added fairies from Rylees leftover material to the flowers that were on her shirt and I cut out a frog in the shape of the big flower on Avynleas shirt to hide that design. They looked so cute and looked like the tops and bottoms were made for each other. Everyone really liked their pajamas. i wanted to make Kefford a pair of pajamas also this year bit could not find good manly material at Jo-Ann's, they are seriously lacking in the male department. So I went to Fred Myers and found a nice pair which he liked.


Then it was on to the kids getting their new ornament. In the past I would buy them all the same ornament but this year and here on out they will get an ornament handpicked to reflect them and their hobbies or personalities. McCall has this place called The Christmas House which is attached to The Pancake House a place we traditionally go to when we are all in McCall in November. So I got their ornaments their. Rylee and Avynlea both got a ballerina because they are my little ballerinas and i have really loved watching them fall in love with dancing. Ryker I wanted to get something to do with basketball but could not find anything good in that category at the store. So upon more searching I found a fun BSU football ornament that I knew he would like, and he did, he loved it! Kenedy I had a little bit of a harder time trying to decide which ornament she should get. I thought about getting her a dance one but the ballerina ones they had just didn't seem to work. Finally I found a tree that had cooking ornaments on it and that is where I found the one for her. A cupcake. She really enjoys baking and cupcakes are something she makes often so I knew that was the right one for her! All of the kids loved their ornaments and it was even more special because they were handpicked for them.

After that was done the kids put out cookies and eggnog for Santa and 9 carrots for the reindeer. It is so cute to see the excitement in the kids I absolutely love Christmas time with kids! Avynlea remembered that she had some reindeer dust from her teacher in her backpack so she went to get that. Reindeer dust is oatmeal mixed with glitter and you throw it out on your lawn to help guide the reindeer to your house. The kids ran out and sprinkled it on the "lawn" and then hurried to come back inside because it was not a warm night. We then had them brush their teeth and sat together to read our nightly scriptures. Of course this night we read about the Saviors birth. Then it was kisses goodnight and bedtime for the kids. I anticipated a long night of kids trying to fall asleep but they surprised me and went to sleep quick. I hope that is a trend that continues on in years to come!

Once the kids were asleep Kefford and I got to work setting everything up. I put their stockings on their beds and then Kefford and I set all the presents out by the tree. I have to tell how giddy I was while doing all of this prep work. Christmas and getting presents is fun for anybody but having Christmas with kids is a whole other world. I was so excited about my kids waking up the next morning and them seeing the tree and opening their presents. It is really fun to watch them be excited. At the last minute I remembered the candy canes and I then put 40 candy canes on our tree. It was alot!:0)

Kefford and I then relaxed and looked forward to the next morning!