Friday, January 21, 2011

Happy New Year!

On New Years Eve I went to the store to get a bunch of grub for our annual new years party. Our tradition is to party here at home with our kids with lots of food, fun games and good movies. Once every thing was ready we all filled our plates with Tator tots, mini pigs in a blanket, fried chicken, chips and salsa, and nachos, quite the spread! Once we all had our food we sat together in the family room to watch Lord of the Rings. I know that might sound weird but we couldn't decide on anything else and it was playing on TV so there you go. After we ate I broke out the cookies, See's candy and made root beer floats for everyone, yum yum. At about 9:00 I put the two younger ones to bed and then the rest of us settled down to finish our movie and wait for midnight. I am not ashamed to admit that I fell asleep first. I didn't even try to stay awake, been there done that. I am way too sleepy at night to make it that long. According to the one who managed to stay awake till midnight Kenedy fell asleep next and then Kefford at about 11:30. Yup Ryker was the lone man ringing in the new year. That kid has way too much energy!

The next morning we drug ourselves out of bed and turned on the Rose Parade. I love watching the Rose Parade but it is not something my kids have really gotten into. Maybe that will come as they get older. While everyone was lazing around I made a Jalapeno dip for the Peterson New Years Day party. This was a recipe I found on a blogging site I like to read and it got rave reviews from all those who ate it. I did not get a chance to try it out so I was pretty nervous about it making it's debut at the party. But I have some guts and so I went with it.

Keffords Grandpa Farrell and Grandma Marge have the Peterson Party at their house every year. It is a fun tradition that I love of getting together with all of Keffords Family on the Peterson side. Not everyone is able to come every year but that is OK because we know/hope to see them at the next ones. While there we ate good food, I am happy and relieved to report that my dip was a hit and got eaten up really quick..phew :0), visited with great people and enjoyed a little football. Finally it was time to open presents. Grandma is always so thoughtful and thinks up really nice things to get us all. This year the Great Grandchildren got Dr Seuss or Winnie the Pooh books plus a stuffed animal to go along with it. I didn't get any pictures at the party..:0/ but I did take a picture of the kids with their fun gifts not too long ago so we could send thank yous.


They love their animals and books and i thought it was such a fun idea. The married Grandkids and their spouses got a book on Joseph Smith with a picture of Grandpa and Grandma in it from their mission. They served in the Carthage Jail area and have developed a deep love for the Prophet. I love that they are passing on their Heritage in this way. We also got some things for our food storage. Everyone got a timer with one of Grandmas sweet poems and on the paper was a number and that number represented what food item we got. Kefford and I managed to get a couple of bags of brown sugar and chocolate chips! Love it!
We had a really great time spending New Years Day with people we really like and look forward to seeing those who were not able to be there, at the next one!