Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Rylee's Big Week!

We didn't have anything planned the first half of Spring Break and when Rylee's Lacrosse friends invited her to go on a hike I encouraged her to get out of the house and go. She was not excited abut it at first but went and ended up having a lot of fun. They hiked and took pictures and went to Costco and just had a lot of fun hanging out and bonding. This is one thing I love about my kids being on a team. They meet people they wouldn't otherwise meet and find friends outside of their little circle. 
left picture l-r: Rylee, Esther, Emerson, Shay


Kefford told Rylee she could open a checking account when she turned 16. We started savings accounts for all of our kids when they were little but Rylee really wanted her own checking account so she could have a debit card, its cooler to use a debit card then cash for this young generation. On Monday Kefford met Rylee and I at the bank and we got her signed up for her checking account. Both Kefford and I had to be their in order to be signers on her account. I like my kids having their own checking account because it helps them learn how to budget their money and helps them to learn to prioritize what they are spending their money on. 

At the start of the week I decided it was time for Rylee to get her drivers license and looked at the DMV's close to us to get an appointment. Of course they were all booked so I had the thought to look at the Payette DMV. It is where we got the girls their passports and there was no line and no wait for that so I thought it would be the same for getting license and it was. They are walk in only and so I decided to take her to Payette for the skills test and then immediately after go to the DMV for her knowledge test. Patricia did her skills test and Rylee was really nervous but Patricia was so kind and helped Rylee feel at ease. I was allowed to ride in the car during her test as long as I did not say anything about her driving. I could see some mistakes Rylee made but thought she did a great job over all. At the end of the test Patricia went over some of the things she saw that Rylee could do better at and then said she had to get no more then 12 to pass and Rylee got 5 so she passed!
Once the skills test was done we went to the DMV and were helped right away. I had to sit in the car during her knowledge test and it did not take Rylee very long to come and get me with the news she passed, yay! Rylee now has her license and is so excited to have a little bit more freedom. When we got home Rylee asked if she could drive around by herself for a bit. She said she would just drive to her high school and around in our neighborhood. I said it was fine and let her go, I tracked her on my find a friend app and saw her go to the high school and then she went to Sonic and around our neighborhood. When she was in our neighborhood I kept expecting her to come home but she drove around for a while enjoying her freedom. It was a red letter week for Rylee!