Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Elder Peterson Week 9

Boy, what a crazy week. I'm writing this right after transfers, so Elder Paulsen is gone, and now I'm with Elder Webb from Arizona. He seems pretty cool, so I'm not worried about the coming weeks. Anyway, story time.
Last week we had a lesson with a guy named Sergio and Rocio. THREE AND A HALF HOURS... We talked with them for three and a half hours, it was awesome. It went by super quick though, so that was good. They had so many good questions and concerns and I believe we answered all of them. Sometimes it felt a little like bible bashing, but I felt the spirit very strongly throughout the whole thing. They agreed to read the Book of Mormon, which was a great way to end it. I hope We can meet with them again soon, but they both said they wanted some time to read the Book of Mormon first. So... we'll see.
Now, here's a crazy story... Before coming out on the mission, my dad gave me a CTR ring that he had on his mission. It's super cool and I was more than happy to have it. I've worn it every day and I've gotten a lot of compliments for it, even from nonmembers. So this is where things get really sad.
I lost it.
I can't remember exactly what day it was, but I remember how I felt. That day we had walked around a huge park, done a lot of facebook work and calls at our place, and we went to visit an investigator named Martin. It was at his house and talking to him that I realized it wasn't on my finger. I didn't panic too much then, cause I figured I had taken it off at the apartment and left it on my desk or dresser. But when we got back, it was nowhere to be found. I searched all over the place and could not find it, even under and in the couches. I realized it could have fallen off at the park or at Martin's, so I got super sad. If I had dropped it at that park, it was gone.
The next day we went back to that park to look for it, but we didn't expect much success. We actually met a drunk named Romo and got his information, but other than that, we had no luck in finding the ring. For the rest of the day I was very depressed and honestly kind of guilty. My dad had trusted me with this ring and it only took me two months to lose it. Around noon we were at the church and I went to pray in the chapel. I had been praying all day that I would find it again, but I had no luck. I started to question whether or not I had enough faith, or if my prayers were humble enough, and other doubts about myself. I knew God is all-knowing and all-powerful, so I figured it was something I was lacking. While I was praying in the chapel these words came to me: "Do you trust me?" yes, I thought in my head. I have never once doubted God. "Then get to work." At that response I realized how much of the day I had wasted looking for a ring. An important ring, no doubt, but a ring. I told Elder Paulsen we should stop looking and start getting things done, he agreed. Towards the end of the day, I had basically given up hope of finding it again. I began searching all over the place again after 9. I was digging inside of the couches and checking every nook and cranny. Elder Paulsen decided to do some dishes while I tore the place apart, and we both did our stuff in depressed silence. 
After several minutes I heard "Elder..." I lifted my head at him and he held up his hand. I lept to my feet and probably whooped, I can't remember. Suffice it to say, he had found my ring and I was elated. It had been under a pile of dishes the whole time.
This strengthened my testimony a ton. It wasn't until I started doing the things I was supposed to do that I found what I was looking for. I had asked Heavenly Father to help me find the ring, but I did nothing in turn besides mindless searching. It was once I got back to work and finished the day with hard work that I was able to find the ring. We can't expect God to do all the work in our lives, and sometimes things just won't go our way. But as long as we trust in Him and exercise faith in His love and power, we will see endless miracles.

There's a lot more I could share, but my hand is tired and I'm growing bored. So I'll leave it here. 

Stay safe, stay faithful, and stay happy!

-Elder Peterson

1) a sweet brand new little shoe I found
2) a "meh" picture of Houston
3) Elder Paulsen as me, Evelyn in an "Among Us" costume, and me as Elder Paulsen
4) The ring