Monday, November 15, 2021

Elder Peterson Week 11

Before I get into the subject of the email I'll tell a couple short stories.
(This probably will not be chronologically correct)

1) Elder Webb and I were walking around knocking on some houses (only of people who have talked to missionaries before, or referrals). First of all, it was very hot. It was yesterday, and it really put the sun in Sunday. Anyway, we were walking around when this guy approached us and began talking to us. It was kinda strange for a second, usually it's the other way around. He introduced himself, Dejon, and told us about how he had talked with missionaries like us in the past. He told us that he seriously respects us for taking time out of our lives to walk around in the hot Houston sun preaching about Jesus. We talked to him for a bit longer about his religious history. I asked him if he goes to church regularly, to which he essentially answered no. I gave him a pass-along card with our number and the church's address and told him that he's always welcome to come to our services. He thanked us and then we went separate ways. We would have gotten his number too, but he said he wasn't super interested right now (and I feel like he didn't actually have a phone). It was super cool though. It amazes me every time how the Lord can bring people to us, even if just to brighten up their (already burning hot) day.

2) We got to go to the temple last Tuesday! I just remembered that. This probably would've been the first story... oh well. I'm too lazy to copy and paste. Elders Westover, Black, and Webb (and I) drove to the Houston Temple last Tuesday for a zone temple trip. It was suuuper cool. Not gonna lie, it was smaller than I expected. But it was also way cooler than I expected as well. We did a quick, but not really very quick, session and then took a billion pictures. I am not a fan of pictures, but I am glad we got some good ones with the temple. Afterwards we had to race home (definitely not speeding) so we wouldn't be late for our afternoon appointments. Super cool day though.

3) We went to knock on an old referral's door and they surprisingly answered. We told them who we are and then one of the ladies (there were 3) said "Go ahead. Share one of your messages." We were a little surprised so after a couple seconds of awkward silence I just asked some simple "get to know your beliefs" questions. Such as "Do you believe in Jesus Christ? Who is he to you? Why was his crucifiction and suffering significant to you? etc. She answered them well and from that we were able to share what we believe about the Savior's Atonement and how through it we can all return to live with our families and our Father in Heaven. It was cool and she told us to come again.

Alright. Primary Program. The day we've all been dreading. Or at least me. Maybe a couple of us. IT WAS A DISASTER.
Just kidding, it was great. The kids were hilarious and they did their parts well. Except for when they just stopped singing mid song and it completely threw me off and I absolutely botched the rest of that verse on the piano and there were definitely some people staring at me wondering why this kid from Idaho is ruining the program.
Maybe not that bad, but I was thrown off and I missed several notes. Oh well, it's over now. Plus, afterwards we got to hangout with the primary for second hour. We played musical chairs and giant jenga and ate a ton of sandwiches. It was really fun. It made me really hope that in the future I'll get to be a primary teacher. Kids are so fun.

I'm really glad that I got to be a part of that primary program. I learned some really cool things, the most significant being that the gospel really is very simple. There are some things that are hard to understand, yes. But in the grand scheme of things, all we have to do is learn about our Savior and follow in his ways. That's it. If we strive to do the things that he did, we will qualify for all the blessings in heaven. I know that Jesus Christ lives. I know that it is only through him that we can live with our families forever. I'm so gratefull for this knowledge and testimony and for the incredible opportunity I have to share this fact with my father's children. Every person is a child of God and every person deserves to hear the messages of salvation. I am honored to be one of the bearers of this glad message.

Keep growing, keep praying, keep believing. I love you all and I pray for you. Have a great week!

-Elder Peterson

1)my reward for playing in the program
2)temple
3)temple
4)bridge
5)temple
6)temple