Thursday, December 20, 2018

Eagle Scout

Ryker had a goal to get his Eagle Scout rank before the end of the year and with his Dad's help we are happy to say he accomplished his goal. Kefford wanted him to have his Eagle Court of Honor before the end of the year as well and trying to find a time to fit that in was pretty difficult. We talked about it on Sunday and the Court of Honor was then scheduled for Thursday night, it really was the only time we all had available before the new year. Kefford put me in charge of the food and the decor and since I am not a party planner by any means I kept it super simple. I gathered pictures I had from his first day of Cub Scouts to his last days of Boy Scouts and put them on a poster board. And that was it for decorating, really we are simple people and none of us have need to go overboard. All you need for this type of event are some pictures to look at. Kefford and I ordered a cake from Costco on Monday and when I went to pick it up on Wednesday they did not have any record of receiving my order. I know it happened because Kefford was there with me when I did it. The bakery people said if I gave them 20 minutes they would be able to have a cake ready for me. I told them what I wanted on it which was...
Congratulations Ryker
Eagle Scout!
I told her what I wanted on it and asked her if she would like me to write it down and she said no. She should have had it written down because when I got it back it said...
Congratulations Riker
Eagle Scouts
Off center and misspelled. I told her the name was spelled wrong and she went back and scraped the i off and replaced it with a y but a little remnant of the i was still on the cake. Oh well, good enough.
I also had water with strawberries and blueberries in it to go with the Eagle Scout colors. The kids brought Kefford's Eagle to put on display and Brother Chidester brought the Eagle plaque which he gave to Ryker at the end of the night.
Brother Chidester conducted and Brother Claiborne, our wards scoutmaster, was there to say some nice things about Ryker. He is a really good guy and was super supportive in helping Ryker with the Eagle Project and getting things done.
For it being a last minute night Ryker had a lot of family and friends show up to give support and watch him earn his Rank. We had friends from the Linder Ward, Verona Ward and Oak Creek Ward come as well as a lot of Kefford's family.
After watching a short video on what it means to become an Eagle Scout it was time to get to the presentation of the award.
First Ryker pinned Kefford and I with the Eagle Mom and Eagle Dad pins. 
And then Ryker was given the mentor pin to give to the person he felt helped him and mentored him the most on his road to Eagle. Ryker chose to give this pin to his Dad and I can't think of anyone who deserves it more. Kefford was there the whole way helping and encouraging Ryker through the scouting program. If it were not for him Ryker never would have earned this rank.
Then I got to pin Ryker's Eagle Badge on and Kefford put on his new scarf.

Ryker was asked to say a few words and even though Ryker did not know he was going to have to do this he did a good job. He thanked everyone for coming and mentioned a little what it meant for him to have earned this Eagle award.
Eagle's Nest
After the ceremony Alison felt that Ryker's scarf needed adjusting so she helped him out with that.
And Trevor had to goof around a little bit with our new Eagle Scout.

Grandma Alison and Grandpa Bob
Ellis and Grandma June
I made Ryker hold Garrett so I could get a picture of the birthday twins and then I had to have a picture with me in it since I share their same birthday also.


After we got home Kefford pulled out a knife that he got from his Grandpa Max and an Eagle keychain he got from his Grandpa Farrell, he told Ryker how he got them and how much both items meant to him and then he gave them to Ryker. 
Ryker is now a part of a great Eagle Legacy

This was a really great night and I think we are all glad to have this journey to the Eagle rank finally be done.