Saturday, September 30, 2017

French Toast and Canning

Saturday morning was our Stake Annual French Toast breakfast. Kefford was sick and didn't want to come and Kenedy had to be at the High School helping decorate for the dance so it was me, Ryker, Rylee, Avy and her friend Rose who went for breakfast. We got french toast with strawberries and cream, sausage patties, Orange Juice and Hot Cocoa. It was delicious and we all enjoyed it.


We got home in time to turn on the first session of conference. I received a big box of apples from Ashli Terrell, a friend in our ward, and decided to can applesauce and apple pie filling. I have never done either and this was my first time canning solo so I was really nervous about the canning being a success. I borrowed an apple peeler corer slicer from a neighbor and Avynlea and Rose were really good to use it to get all of our apples ready. I did the applesauce first and that went really well but then I attempted the apple pie filling and that was not so successful. I couldn't get the filling to thicken despite the amount of surejel and I am pretty sure I did not fill the jars right. While they were processing on the stove I noticed the lid was being lifted at an odd angle and when I went to investigate I saw one of the jars had its bottom broken off and it was floating on the surface lifting the lid while the filling was out and in the water. Canning fail. 

We were listening to conference while we were canning and Rylee was working on some conference printed outs she got from the computer.