Monday, April 20, 2015

Grandma Marge

On Monday I saw on Instagram that Keffords Aunt Tami had posted a message and in it she mentioned that Grandma Marge had to be taken to the emergency room. I was concerned but didn't think too much of it because it did not seem like it was a huge deal. The next morning Kefford called me to let me know that she was in the hospital in a coma and it was his understanding that things were not looking good. He wanted me to go to the Hospital to see what was going on that morning. I asked if I should cancel my Temple attendance that morning but he did not think it was that urgent, thank heavens. I went and did my Temple work and after wards I put Grandmas name on the prayer roll. That morning at scriptures I mentioned that I was going to put her name on the prayer roll at the Temple and Avynlea looked at me in surprise and said "But Grandma is not dead". She knows we go and do work for the dead but apparently we have never talked about the Prayer roll. I explained that it was a list that we can write names on for people who are sick or who need extra prayers said on their behalf. Then for two weeks they are included in the prayers at the Temple. They thought this was cool and I mentioned that sometimes when I feel it is needed I will write their names down. I think it is important for my kids to be aware that I think about them and worry about them and write them on the prayer roll for extra help and prayers on their behalf.
When I got to the Hospital Alison and Bob were their along with Aunt Vicki, Uncle Alan, Uncle Brad and the Owyhee Ward Bishop and Counselor. Alison told me that Tami took Grandma to the Dr on Monday to have some broken ribs that were really starting to bother her x-rayed. They noticed some fluid in her lungs and sent her to the emergency room thinking she had pneumonia. While at the Hospital Grandma slipped into a coma and that is where she was at when I got there. I gathered from the vibe and things others were saying that this was really the end for her and they were waiting for her to die. It really seemed like a bittersweet time. We love her and will miss her so much but she was really in a lot of pain and really missed her sweetheart Farrell who passed away a little over a year ago. I like being able to be there with Kefford's family, there was a lot of joking around in true Peterson fashion but there was also a great feeling of love for her and each other.
I went home to go visiting teaching and later after the kids were home from school and when Kefford got home from work we took the kids to the hospital so they could see her one last time. I explained to them what was happening and let them know that it wasn't scary at all Grandma looked just like she was sleeping. When we got there Uncle Mark and Aunt Debbie had arrived and were there with Bob and Alison and Aunt Vicki. Alison explained things more to the kids and they were fine with everything and I think were glad to be able to be there. What a blessing to live where we live! Mark took the kids down to walk his dog for a little bit and when he got back Bob and Alison were getting ready to leave to go home to sleep for a couple of hours before heading back the next morning so we left when they did. More people had arrived by then and it was getting pretty crowded and loud. 
Kefford sent me a text the next day around noon to let me know that Grandma had passed. 
I have spent the last couple of days reflecting on this great woman I was given the privilege to know. I am thankful for her example and Farrells of how to live the Gospel righteously. They never failed to share their testimonies of of our Saviour and they had a deep love and testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith. While the passing of Marge is a sad one it is also very sweet for her to be able to be reunited with her sweetheart whom I know she missed very much.

Grandmas kids were cleaning out some things and they found this note that Grandpa had written her and she saved all these years. What a sweet find! 
Tami remembered a picture she had taken of the two of them a while ago and had a print made and framed for display at the funeral. I loved it so much I asked her if she would send me a copy.
I also took a photo of these two pictures on display. Marge and Farrell with their kids, the kids proving that no matter how old you are you are still just a kid a heart.
I really liked this picture of them in their younger days. What a good looking couple!