Thursday, July 19, 2012

A New Chair

For the longest time I have wanted a soft comfy overstuffed chair next to my bed. I wanted this chair to watch TV in to read books in and to basically be able to relax in it if I so wanted. I would look around in furniture chairs and keep my eyes open everywhere we went but could never find the perfect cheap chair. Obviously I did not want it to be too expensive. So this past year my friend Janie helped me recover some cushions on my couch and when I told her about the chair I have been dreaming of she told me to look in thrift stores and then she could help me recover the chair. Brilliant. It would be cheap and exactly what I wanted. So the next time I was out and about I stopped in at the Goodwill and wouldn't you know I discovered the perfect chair. I sat in it, I lounged in it and I examined it, it was awesome. Plus it was only $25, so I bought it.
Janie took me shopping and I picked out some material to reupholster it with and then I got down to the dirty work. It was my job to pull out all of the staples and let me tell you that was hard work. Just when I would think I had them all out I would move a piece of the chair and uncover hundreds more. Finally I thought was done and I called Janie and her Husband so they would come over and help unscrew the legs off so that we could get the material off. Well they cam and started to unscrew and in doing so got some of it off and found what seemed like a billion more staples. My face fell I was so sad that I had more work to do. My knuckles were already scraped up from the previous pulling and I was not looking forward to more staple removing. Janie in all her sweetness took pity on my and loaded that chair up in her car so that she could finish removing the staples. Eventually after a lot of cutting and sanding and painting and sewing and restapling we got my chair done. I absolutely love it and it is exactly what I wished for!