Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Party!


This picture of Kenedy was taken last May or June with my camera phone,
now for the story...
We have made it a rule for our kids that they are not allowed to go to sleepovers for any reason until never. But when Kenedy started 3rd grade her teacher told the class that if they met the reading goal for the year she would let them come to her house for a slumber party. I know doesn't that sound weird and not OK? But she has been doing this for as long as she has been teaching and nobody else ever had a problem with it. So fast forward to the end of the year when the kids met there reading goal and it was time to go to the sleepover. Kenedy really, desperately wanted to go and so I told her she could go but only if I went too. I knew her teacher well enough that it wasn't weird for me to do that. So on the way to her teachers house Kenedy confided to me that she felt kinda embarrassed that I was going and that it made her feel like a baby. I told her I understood that and then explained better my reasoning for not letting her go alone. She accepted that and we moved on. At her teachers house I was the only parent who stayed..strange right?...and I basically left Kenedy alone to do her thing. I played games with some of the other kids and tried to stay more or less out of the way. Kenedy later came up to me and told me that she was glad I was there, so that was nice. The kids played games, watched a movie, ate popcorn and woke up to doughnuts and juice.
The thing that bothered me about it all was all of the kids that were there without parents. Sure there teacher is really nice and of course you don't ever expect or want anything bad to happen but come on people. Her husband was there too and while he pretty much stayed out of sight who knows what could happen. It was kind of weird but I am glad that I went so that Kenedy could go.
Oh and look how excited Kenedy is in the picture! She is too cute!