Friday, December 15, 2023

McKenzie and Winter Dance Recital

Hazel drew a picture of me in church and I think she did a pretty good job.
Thursday morning, 12/7, I was getting ready to go help Brigitte with her parent watch day when I got a phone call from Kim Machado. I wondered why she was calling and thought that she was probably seeing if I could sub a class. As soon as I answered I knew whatever she had to say was not good because. could tell she was crying. She called to let me know that one of my dancers from my twos class had unexpectedly passed away, McKenzie Jensen. I was in shock and for a moment could not respond. I remember thinking I should be crying but I was just trying to process what she was telling me. All f a sudden it hit me and I started crying and then I really could not respond. She told me she didn't know what happened that Kara, another dancers mom, called to let he know and she wanted Kim to let me know. Her big sister Ashley was in my older class and I asked if they were going to keep her in class and Kim said as far as she knew they wanted Ashley and Kate, who was in an after school class, to continue with dance. After I hung up with Kim I called Kefford and then I thought briefly about telling Brigitte I couldn't go and help her but I thought I should go and hopefully it would be a good distraction. I cried a lot that morning but was able to get myself under control enough to help Brigitte. I thought I was putting on a normal demeanor but shortly after I arrived Brigitte looked at me and asked if I was ok, I told her no but I didn't want to talk about it right then. She understood and we moved on and I helped her with her parent watch.
Kim sent me these pictures of McKenzie and her family and it just makes me sad. I loved having McKenzie in class, she was a firecracker who loved being in charge. I put carpets out for the kids to sit on when they come in and McKenzie liked to rush in and help put them out. She does not usually put them where I want them and sometimes we have had a power struggle in regards to the carpets. She has two older sisters and a little baby brother and she loved mothering the other kids in class who were smaller than her. One time I saw her giving Declan a hug and then she gave him kiss on the cheek. I found the obituary her Dad wrote and I thought it was beautiful so I wanted to include it here. What a blessing it is to know that God is in charge and to know about the plan of salvation and that we will be with our families again someday. It does not take away the pain and sorrow of unexpected deaths like McKenzies but it helps to know that death is not the end of it all.

Obituary for McKenzie Kay Jensen

We are devastated to announce the sudden and unexpected passing of our little angel, McKenzie Kay “Mac Daddy” Jensen. She passed away peacefully in the arms of her loving mother early in the morning of December 6, 2023.  

McKenzie is survived by her parents, Trevor and Kayla; her siblings, Kate, Ashley and James;  
grandparents, Jeff and Christine Langford, and Kirk and Leann Jensen; great grandmother, Helen Huckvale; great grandfather, Don Jensen; and an entire loving family of cousins, aunts, and uncles. 

McKenzie was born in Boise, Idaho on December 21, 2020. In the words of her mother Kayla, her pregnancy was an “unexpected surprise, one that has been hard to wrap my head around. 3 kids in 3 years… But I have felt on multiple occasions that this baby is coming for a reason and that she is a sweet little blessing coming out of 2020.” And she truly was the greatest blessing to our family. 

McKenzie was well known for her sassy attitude and refusal to go by her given name. Instead, she insisted on going by Mac Daddy. She loved her sisters more than anything in the world and tried to emulate them every day. She adored her baby brother James and loved crawling in his crib with him to cuddle. She was her daddy’s best friend and quite literally a little miniature version of him, only much more beautiful. In reality though, she didn’t reserve her best friend status just for her dad. She warmed up to anyone, and quickly became best friends with them.  

She loved going to her mom and Grammy’s preschool, where she enjoyed playing, learning and occasionally fighting. McKenzie loved to help us cook and would get up on her stool which she always placed right in the way. And when she helped, she insisted on doing it herself. She was fiercely and frustratingly independent, which often resulted in extra messes around the house, backwards pants, and spilled juice bottles. She loved watching Disney movies and singing along to songs like “Poor Unfortunate Souls”. We have the fondest memories of Kenzie singing, at the top of her lungs, the words “Keep Singing”, following a beautiful little tune. Her singing will be greatly missed. 

Her unexpected death was caused by a condition called volvulus, a twisted intestine which ultimately caused a septic infection and quickly took her life. McKenzie was an exceptionally special child of God whose purpose here in mortality was fulfilled in less than three years. There was no need for her to face the difficult trials and problems intrinsic with this mortal experience. As the ancient Book of Mormon prophet Moroni said: “wherefore, little children are whole, for they are not capable of committing sin..” “But little children are alive in Christ, even from the foundation of the world…” Despite the devastating sadness that her death has caused us, we are sustained by the hope that our family is eternal and we will be with her again. 

I bought Rylee and I tickets to go see "Elf the Musical" and I was excited for the day to finally arrive. We love going to musicals and it had been a while so it was fun to go again. The production was put on by The muc=sic Theater of Idaho and I thought they did a good job. It wasn't Broadway by any means but it was fun to watch. It did seem rather long and we were ready for it to end by the time it was over but It was fun.

On Sunday we went to Kefford's parents house for dinner and it was fun to visit with them. Whitney brought Maddie over later to help Bob make cupcakes and Alison pulled out some family photo albums for them all to look at. I know there was a reason she did it, she doesn't usually just randomly pull out the albums, but I can't remember why.
On Thursday I was thinking about how Disneyland makes candy canes during the holiday season and I wanted to see if I could make my own. I found a recipe online and did my best but they did not turn out quite how I thought they would. They were more like a hard taffy rather then the soft candy cane I imagined and wanted to make. I thought they still tasted good so I was eating one and bit into it with my front teeth. As I was chewing I ran my tongue along the front of my teeth and it felt weird. It took me a second but I realized the taffy had pulled out my fake tooth! I was shocked and really upset, luckily the tooth was still in the taffy and I pulled it out and cleaned it. I called my dentist and told them what happened and they said to come in the next morning and they would try to fit me in. I was in a panic because I had the funeral and dance recital on Friday and I did not want to do any of it with a missing tooth, so embarrassing. I would not let anyone see my mouth with the missing tooth not even Kefford when he wanted to see, I was so embarrassed. When I was in the Dentist chair I even had a hard time opening my mouth to show him, it was not fun. I finally took a picture of myself with the tooth missing because I knew someday, once the embarrassment has faded, I would be glad to have the picture.
I threw the rest of the candy away but forgot to take a picture so the big mess of a candy cane picture was in the trash can.
Th candy even ripped off some of my nail polish which is crazy, that was some strong and sticky candy I made.
Because of my tooth emergency and having to go into the dentist in the morning I missed the play performance Rylee was doing with the special needs class she helps in. She is a peer tutor this semester and the class she is helping in is a theater class. I really wanted to be at the play to watch her but couldn't and so Avynela went with Bode to support her. I wanted Avynlea to FaceTime me so I could still watch but she said that she would video it for me. It was hard to hear in the video so that was kind of a bust but it's ok. Rylee did send me a picture with Imogene who is the girl she peer tutors. 

After I was done at the dentist I picked up Stephanie and we went to the funeral together. Stephanie taught the oldest sister Kate a couple of years ago and she helped teach my tiny tots class when I had Ashley a few years ago so we knew the family. Neither of us wanted to go to the viewing and I think that was a good choice. I did not want to see McKenzie in her casket I wanted to remember her from knowing her in dance class. It was a beautiful funeral and I am really glad we were able to go together. I was ok and didn't cry up until the very end when they were wheeling her casket out and I saw her sisters walking by it with their hands on it, that made me tear up.

That evening was the winter dance recital and I was really proud of my classes for how well they did. I do not have my Tiny Tots perform in the winter show because they are never ready but my older two classes did and they did so good. 
Before the recital Kim and Melissa go out and thank everyone for coming and have a few things to say. This recital was being dedicated to the Jensen family and I asked if I could go out with them since McKenzie was in my class. After Kim spoke she gave the microphone to me and I said a few words mostly just thanking everyone for giving us the opportunity to teach their kids and be a part of their lives. One of the dance Moms took a picture and sent it to me. 

Rylee and Avynlea came with me to help with my classes and I liked having them there. It was nice to have them watch one class while I was on stage with the other class. Avynlea took some pictures of me with my class while we were waiting to go onstage and I love looking at them. I love these kids so much and really am glad that I have the opportunity to get to know and love so many kids each year.