Thursday, February 2, 2023

Happy 18th Birthday Avynlea

Avynlea is 18, why does this milestone feel like the beginning of the end, because it is. We are on the downward slope and it is speeding up and I am still not ready for it. Regardless here we are and Avynlea turning 18 is a big deal. It is an exciting time and I am looking forward to watch all the new and fun experiences that await her.
We took the girls out for dinner on Avynlea's Birthday and Avynlea chose to go to Grimaldi's a pizza place in The Village. It was fun and we had a lot of laughs, mostly at my expense ;).

When we got home we had Avynlea blow out her candles and then she opened her Birthday gifts.

She received a new pair of sunglasses, cooling eye drops, 
a Yoga Jacket, bodysuit and joggers, 
body mist, Nike slides and...
new Nike shoes.



We do not let our kids have Social Media until they turn 18. It has honestly been the best decision and has helped our kids navigate their teen years and High School without the extra garbage that Social Media adds. Avynlea asked if she could start her Instagram and SnapChat accounts the day before her Birthday so that she could see all the messages her friend post for her on her Birthday. After laughing at the pure Avynlea that that request was I agreed and let her start her Social Media life.

from Paige

from Natalie

from Dreya

from Anna

from Ruby

from Kenedy

from Sadie

from Bella

from Hope



Avynlea's Favorites

  1. Food: Cereal
  2. Dessert: Ice Cream Cones
  3. Candy: any Chocolate
  4. Color: Pink
  5. Book: The Secret Language of Sisters by Luanne Rice
  6. TV Show: Friday Night Lights
  7. Radio Song: All Too Well (10 minute version) by Taylor Swift
  8. Church Song: The Spirit of God
  9. Scripture Story: Abinidi
  10. Friend: Natalie, Paige, Sadie, Madison, Ruby and Anna
  11. Thing to do: Hang out with Friends
  12. Place to be: In My Bed
  13. Toy: Hamster
  14. Princess: Belle
  15. Hobbies: Cheerleading and working at Sodalicious
 5 things I love about Avynlea 
1. Her Forgiving Heart. Avynlea had a lot of garbage thrown at her last year and really struggled with mean friends. She had some of her closest friends turn on her and really show an ugly side of themselves. This year through Cheer Avynlea has had to be around these same girls and rather than dwelling on the past she has let it go and instead has focused on kindness and forgiveness. The relationships she has with these girls are not the same as they have been but I have been so impressed and proud of Avynlea for being the bigger person and choosing to let things go. She is such a good example of forgiveness to me and everyone else and I love her for it.

2. Her laughter and fun. Avynlea knows how to bring the party. She is fun and really good at making us laugh. Life is more exciting and fun when Avynlea is around and I love being around her. Her little Cousins love when she is around because she plays with them and includes them in on her fun and it makes me happy she is my kid every time I see her having fun with them, it is a great quality she has.

3. Her kindness and perception. I love that Avynlea is more perceptive and knows when I am having a hard time or struggling. She is good at compliments and really good at helping others feel better. Many times I have been struggling with something or other and Avynlea is always really good to help me feel better. 

4. Her Spiritual nature. Avynlea is and always has been a good example of living her beliefs. She knows how to have fun but more important she knows how to have fun in a Christ like way. She lives her faith and lives her life in a way to share her light with others. I love hearing from her church leaders how special they think she is, her willingness to contribute to lessons and her willingness to be a leader for good. I love that through Ryker's example of missionary work she is very open to the idea of serving a mission and I know that if she does she will be such a good servant of the Lord.

5. Her willingness to push through. With new coaches, drama on the team, and not good competition choreography Avynlea has really struggled with wanting to continue with cheer this year. She has come so close many times to throwing in the towel and being done with the season. I understood her frustrations and while I did not want her to quit if she ultimately decided to hand in her notice I would have been sad but supported her. I am so proud of Avynlea for taking it day by day and sticking with it. She has grown so much this year because she stuck with it and learned so many valuable life lessons of pushing through.