Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Elder Peterson Week 76

 (Pday is today because President's Day was yesterday and we were out working)

   This past week was pretty good, interesting for sure. Last Tuesday we went to do service at a place called Christian Care. It's another place that distributes food to those in need. It was really fun helping out there, we were mainly restocking items in the back. We also got to hand people their food, which I enjoyed a lot.
     We also had a family in the ward invite us to go to their son's soccer game the other day. It was super fun. They're the Pirates, which I thought was pretty cool. They didn't win, unfortunately, but it was still a fun game to watch. Plenty of soccer drama 
     
     I think I've described what President Ross's place is like. He's got a huge garden and it's really well decorated and organized. On Saturday he had some of us missionaries help him do some work in it. I wasn't having the greatest day, so that manual labor greatly improved my mood. Crazy how that works...

     Sunday night Elder Nestripke and I were walking down a road we already walked not too long ago (so we were a tad bit skeptical, but faithful) and we had a great contact. We knocked on a woman named Keeli's door and shared with her what we do. She seemed pretty curious and agreed to have us come by the next day (yesterday)! We showed up yesterday and had to sit on her porch since her husband wasn't home. We started talking and realized that she had absolutely zero religious background. WHAT!? I have never met someone down here that is actually a blank slate. Neither has Elder Nestripke. So we started with the basics, talking about God and the Gospel. We stumbled a couple times because this was so new for both of us, but it went great. She was asking fantastic questions and was willing to try praying until we come back. It was an awesome experience, even with her cat swatting at my arm while I was trying to share my testimony . We are excited to meet again, we'll be praying that her curiosity remains and that she will actually pray and feel some peace about what we've shared.

     That experience with Keeli was really cool because I feel like it was the first time that I was teaching someone where the biggest concern of theirs was not Book of Mormon. We were able to talk about basic stuff, like our relationship with God. The biggest thing I kept emphasizing to her was that this Gospel is meant to bless families and that the entire purpose of existence is centered on families. She has a couple little kids and I promised her that she can be with her family forever, a truth that means everything to me. I'm so grateful for this Gospel. It brings me so much joy to be able to share with others the fact that families are meant to be forever.


     Interesting note: we did the ice baths again yesterday and I actually did enjoy it this time. I sat in that water for 15 minutes (5 times longer than last time). I felt really good after it.

     Well, I hope ya'll have a great week!

-Elder Peterson

• Brother Brasher's Porsche 911 Carrera (the member who took us to the soccer game)
The crusty cat that lives on the Ross
• Compound (he didn't like the hat I gave him)
• Ice bath round 2