Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Gingerbread Houses

Thanksgiving 2011 found us once again at Peterson Farms. The past couple of years I have had various siblings come and stay with me during the thanksgiving holiday. This year was no exception with Andrew coming for a couple of weeks. It was bittersweet having him here though, sweet because he was here and bitter because I am afraid that this might be the last year it will happen. But I chose to look on the sweet side of things and really enjoyed having my little brother for a couple of weeks.

Alison let me bring whatever I wanted to the dinner and so I decided to make a jello salad and some pies. I have never done a jello mold before and when I found one on sale at Wal-Mart for $2 I thought it might be fun to try it out. I think it would have worked just fine if we didn't have an hour trip to Nyssa. The jello kind of melted and when I tried to set it nicely on a plate it blobbed all over. So I dumped the mess into a bowl and though better luck next time. It was still delicious. I also made a most delicious coconut cream pie and an even more delicious chocolate cream pie. Yum yum yummers!

Dinner was great and then after we ate it was time for the annual gingerbread house decorating. Except this year it was gingerbread trains, so fun. Each family got a train to decorate and then Ryker and Bailey got one to work on together.
Avynlea was super excited that there was a new kitty at the farm. I am not entirely sure why but this kitty had a temporary home in the laundry room. Avynlea spent a lot of time in the laundry room keeping the new kitty company.
I made my traditional candy palm tree and I think they get better and better every year. This one had coconuts on it and a nice base so it wouldn't tople over. I origionally placed it on top of the train and them moved it down to safer ground later.
Rylee was the first one to begin work on the train and the last one to leave it alond. She was very concentrated on where to place all of the candy and did a mighty fine job.
And here is our familys finished creation. Looks delicious!
And Ryker and Baileys happy train!