Friday, October 27, 2023

Pageant of the Monsters

Mom, Heather, Mary Beth and I got tickets to the Pageant of the Monsters. The festival of Arts in Laguna Beach puts on a Pageant of the Masters which is live action pictures of famous paintings. So people dress up and pose as famous paintings. During October they do a pageant of the Monsters. None of us have been to this particular event so none of us knew what to expect. I am not good at all with scary things and was worried I would have people jump scaring me all night. As we were waiting in line I saw a lot of little kids and I felt a little better about being there, surely if people are bringing their little kids its not too scary. Once we got inside we were hungry so we got some food. We found a bench to sit on and I was sitting in between Mary Beth and my Mom. I had a bottle of Sparkling Ice and Mary Beth had a bottle of water. At one point I saw Mary Beth pick up a bottle and start to bring it to her mouth for a drink. I realized she had mistakingly picked up my Bottle Of Sparkling Ice and I grabbed her wrist right before the bottle touched her mouth. She looked shocked and I just started laughing and told her she picked up the wrong bottle, it was so funny I couldn't stop laughing about it, also I am pretty proud of how fast my reflexes were. I absolutely do not like sharing drinks and was glad I stopped her from drinking out of my bottle although I did think it would have been funny to have watched her react to getting a mouthful of Sparkling Ice when she was expecting water.
Elizabeth, Heather, Mom and Mary Beth

There were a lot of kids craft areas and picture taking areas that had actors portraying scary things. We took a picture in front of a witch and then Heather and I had our picture taken with a trio of spooky cooks. Mary Beth was taking the pictures of Heather and I with the cooks and she took a lot of pictures. One of the Chefs must have been thinking they were being hilarious because she kept telling us me that we were going to love the photos, she  was right, I thought they were great!
 


After we took pictures we got in line to go through the Maze of the Minotaur. This is how the website describes the Maze of the Minotaur...

Descend into the chilling depths of our haunted house, where the monstrous Minotaur, a nightmarish fusion of man and bull, has been imprisoned by the Greek Gods at the center of the labyrinth of ancient legend.

Your daunting quest unfolds as you help the valiant Warrior Theseus, tasked with a harrowing mission: to rescue the Minotaur’s human captives before they are devoured by the hideous beast.

But the peril doesn’t end there; you must also navigate the labyrinth’s twisting passages and unearth its secrets to find a means of escape. It’s an A-MAZE-ing adventure!

Dare you embark on this treacherous journey through the heart of the labyrinth and face the Minotaur’s horrifying presence?


This is not exactly what the experience was. We followed a path that led into the theater and behind and around it. They had people portraying statues and it was pretty cool to be up close and to be able to see them as we were walking right by them. It was pretty neat to see everyone portraying different statues but it was not interactive at all, we were not lost in a maze or helping to rescue anyone, we were just walking and looking. I liked it and was really glad that it wasn't the horror show I thought it was going to be.

There was also a side show that we waiting in line to see and it was an Alien Autopsy. It was a little bit of a waste of time as it was just some actors pretending to do an autopsy on an alien they supposedly "captured". It was fine and entertaining for kids but I was not into it.

I had fun at the pageant and am really glad I was able to go and have the experience with my family.