Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Avynlea is called to serve...

 Avynlea decided she wanted to serve a mission and so the past couple of months we have spent helping her get everything ready for her to turn in her mission papers. She finally got them turned in and I was hoping her call would come the week all of us were in California because I thought it would be so fun for her to open them with my family being able to be there but it did not happen. Her mission call came the next Tuesday while I was still in California. Avynlea called me that morning in tears because she felt pressure to open it a certain way and with certain people and I told her she needed to do it how she wanted to do it. The only stipulation I put on it was that her parents and siblings needed to be a part of it. She felt better and said maybe that weekend and she would let us all know. She then messaged me later saying Danny Ricks was trying to get her to open it in their religion class and she didn't think she wanted to but should she? I said not to do it then but if she thought about it later and liked the idea she could do it in the Thursday class. She said ok and then around lunchtime she said she was going to lunch with her roommates and she was going to open it then and could we all get on a google chat call to watch her. I was at Ashleighs with my Mom, Erin, Ashleigh and her kids. Kenedy and Kefford were at work, Tyler was driving. Ryker was between classes and Rylee was at school. We all said we could make it work and the only one who had maybe more of an issue was Rylee but I told her to get a bathroom pass and to leave class for a few minutes which she did. 

We all were on the call and were waiting for Avynlea to read it and she was being so silly and giggly, she was really excited and nervous and it was cute. She started reading it and then her eyes skipped down and she saw where she was going and started freaking out, meanwhile the rest of us were left waiting for her to tell us. It felt like forever before she finally read that she was going to the Japan, Nagoya mission, Japanese speaking! Ashleigh was recording this call which I am so grateful for and I was able to screenshot a picture of all of our reactions. Kenedy, Rylee and I were in shock, Ryker contemplating it, Kefford just a happy and proud Dad and Tyler was driving and not able to show a reaction. It was such a fun mission call opening and I love that it was just our family on the call. Avynlea wanted to keep it more low-key and I felt how she did it was perfect. 
Once we got off the call I sent messages to my siblings letting them know that Avynlea opened her call and for them to call me to find out. It was fun telling them, I had them all guess where she was going before I told them and Joshua guessed Japan so he was the guessing winner. I am so excited for Avynlea and know that she is going to be such a good missionary and that the people she serves in Japan are going to love her.