Monday, April 18, 2022

Elder Peterson Week 32

On Tuesday I pretty much assumed I was leaving the area, so we went and said bye to some people. When the transfer board came out that night my assumptions were confirmed, I was headed out. That made Wednesday another day of goodbyes. We went to the soup kitchen that morning and had a good time there, I once again had crazy people yelling at me for simply doing what I was told, which is always fun. But I'm gonna miss going there, it was good service. We later went with some other Elders to say goodbye to the Fontanozas, McHughs, and Jeters. Great families, I'm really gonna miss that ward. 
Wednesday was also filled with packing and figuring out what to take and what to leave. Luckily I didn't have too much junk, so I was able to keep most of it. I did have to leave some though. 

Thursday was transfer day and I sat in a car for probably a total of 5 hours that day. Not particularly fun, though I do like road trips. I got to see some friends, like Elders Webb and Westover, so that made the day better. I met Elder Mangan, my new companion, and we headed home. Our area is directly neighboring the one I was trained in, Broadway. So it's kinda fun to be back. The area is the one Elder Frogley started in, so there's stuff he left behind all over the place.

The work since transfers has been less than ideal. I'm currently living in an apartment with another set of Elders (for now, we get our own soon), and it seems to me like there's a little too much downtime around here. We've all spent way too much time in the apartment, which I'm not a fan of. So this next week I might have to push my companion and myself out the door sometimes, which is fine. I've got no problem doing so.
Despite that, and it's not as bad as I may have made it seem, we have talked to some great people. Our area is huge and covers a ton of neighborhoods and apartments, so it's not hard to find places to go. The people are also pretty nice as well, so far. They at least understand basic principles of the Gospel, something the people in Port Arthur seemed to struggle with, so I have high hopes for my time here. 

Easter Sunday was awesome! The talks given at church were fantastic and I felt the spirit very strongly throughout the meeting, despite the elderly man snoring right next to me. Sunday school was just as good, I love talking and learning about the Resurrection of the Savior. There's so much symbolism in everything, which helps us understand even more. I love these words from the Book of Mormon in Mosiah 16:
   "8 But there is a resurrection, therefore the grave hath no victory, and the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ.
   9 He is the light and the life of the world; yea, a light that is endless, that can never be darkened; yea, and also a life which is endless, that there can be no more death."

I've always loved the phrase "the grave hath no victory." Jesus Christ conquered death and in turn has made it so that we all will do the same. Yes, we will eventually die, but because of Him, it is not permanent. Because of Him, we cannot be held in the bands of death, for He has broken them. Our Savior suffered all that mankind will experience and then was crucified on the cross. Simply because He loves the Father and because He loves us. Then he rose from the dead and became a perfect, glorified being, just as we may some day become. 
Easter is a wonderful time to remember these truths (and many others), but we should always have them in our hearts. Take time every day, every hour, to remember Jesus Christ's love for us. Because of Him, we can change.
Because of Him, the grave hath no victory.
Because of Him, we can have everlasting happiness.
He is the light and the life of the world, and I testify that it is only through His light and the life He gives us that we can find everlasting peace and happiness. I am forever grateful for my Savior's love and I know that He lives.



I'm excited for what this transfer has to offer, and I wish you all a safe and enjoyable week.

-Elder Peterson 

That's Elder Mangan
Those are the Fontanozas 
That's the mission office, never been there before
That's a model home with no access to the garage
Those are delicious eggs that Elder Hunter made for breakfast