Monday, April 11, 2022

Elder Peterson Week 31

Blare - Noun
A loud harsh or strident noise.

Now you know.

This week has gone very fast and VERY slow. It was fun though. On Tuesday we went with Elders Masaki and Heiner to do some service at the Olvera's. We got to their house and there was a giant pile of gravel/dirt. He had 3 shovels, but only one of them was a regular shovel, but we made em work. I got a nasty blister on my hand, because I haven't used a shovel in half a year, but it was worth it. I can't believe how much I enjoyed it, I didn't realize I had missed manual labor so much. We shoveled for about 2 hours, and then we had to go for a lesson. Brother Olvera said they won't need our help again, that we did a great job. That honestly kinda stinks, I really want to shovel some more. Doing service like that is such a mental reset for me, I pray daily for opportunities like that. Later that night they brought us a ton of pizza for dinner, we were very grateful for that.

On Wednesday I went to my 4th TLC. It was super fun and I really enjoyed seeing Elder Paulsen again. Lunch was great (Elder Paulsen wasn't impressed), Jason's Deli. After Lunch and after TLC we all hung around and chatted for a while. I got to talk to a lot of missionaries I haven't seen in a while. Hermana Steffensen, for example, was fun to talk to. She finally gave me the recipe for her red velvet cookies and I am SO EXCITED to have it. Probably the best (most unhealthy) cookies I've ever had. The first time I had them was back in September. I asked her for the recipe and she wouldn't give it to me. I eventually convinced her to give it to me before she leaves. 6 months later, I got it, She goes home next week. I'm scared for when everyone from my first zone have left... that will be sad. I've made a lot of awesome friends...
Anyway, on the way home we stopped by a John Deere and I got myself a nice hat. We passed 3 on the way to TLC and I needed the hat after seeing that many. It's a sweet hat, very comfortable. Ultimately, Wednesday was a very good day.

Yesterday was my last sacrament meeting with the Twin City ward. Probably. Transfers are weird this time, we find out what happens tomorrow, and then actual transfers are on Thursday. I've been here in Port Arthur for almost 4 months, so I assume I'm going somewhere else. But, the meeting was very interesting. Bishop McAllen was released and Bishop Fruge was called in his stead. So that was cool, Bishop Fruge is going to be awesome for this ward. He's a very Christlike man. 
After church we had a great discussion with Dameris. We talked about faith and I kind threw several scriptures at him, I might have overwhelmed him a bit ðŸ˜…. Great scriptures though: Hebrews 11:1, James 2:20 Alma 32:21, and Ether 12:6. Faith. He's been going through a trial of faith, so we bore testimony and encouraged him to keep exercising faith and trust in God. We told him that while we may not always understand the things God does, we can trust that he knows what he's doing. Ah, I should've shared 2 Nephi 2:24 for that... oh well. Anyway, God knows what he's doing, so as long as we have faith in Him we will slowly learn why He does certain things and how challenges will eventually lift us up.

"But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things."
(2 Nephi 2:24)

I hope your week was good as well! I'll let y'all know what happens this Thursday in my next weekly email. 
Until then, stay faithful!

-Elder Peterson

So apparently the pictures never line up with my descriptions, so I'll do this:
The family with 3 kids is the Williams.
The family with 2 kids is the Barkers.
I love those families.
The one where I'm wearing a trash bag is Elder Dyreng giving me a haircut (he did a good job).
The two people, Robert and Lisa Turner, are two great people I've taught (or tried to) here in PA. 
The heel click is just too good to not put in here.
And the shades are Brother and Sister Olvera's little girl's. I stole 'em and tried them on. I don't think they suit me.