Monday, January 30, 2017

Cheer Competition

On Friday I woke up thinking about my friend Shannon. She is someone that I knew from growing up in California. We did not go to the same schools but were in the same stake, saw each at girls camp and eventually were in the same ward for a couple of months before we both left for college. She lives in Nampa and when they first moved out here her and I and our kids got together for a day of fun. We always mean to get together again but life keeps both of us busy and let's face it, if you are not in the same ward you really don't see much of each other. She just had some major surgery and I thought that I would go and knock on her door and make a surprise visit. I had some grated zucchini left over from last season and it was just enough to make two loaves of chocolate zucchini bread. With a fresh from the oven loaf in my arms I headed off to Nampa to see Shannon. She was super surprised when she opened the door and saw me standing there. It was fun to visit with her and to catch up on life, as an added bonus I got to see her Mom who was in town helping out  Shannon. I am glad I acted on my impulse and I know it meant a lot to Shannon as well as me for us to get together for a visit. She took a picture of us before I left and I was touched with what she wrote about the visit on instagram.

Saturday was Kenedy's first cheer competition of the Season. It was at Nampa High School and they were competing in the Pom and Sideline categories. Rylee had a basketball game that morning and Kefford and Ryker stayed at home to take her to her game. Avynlea decided she wanted to come with me and we had a lot of fun watching the competition together. 
We were not sure how long we were going to be at the competition and so Avynlea and I packed some food to take. I had a loaf of french bread that I brought with me and Avy and I both thought it was pretty funny that I had a loaf of bread in my bag. It sure tasted delicious and Kenedy and Avy both helped finish it off. 
First up was the Sideline category and I thought they did great. They ended up placing 3rd overall for that one.
They then competed with their Pom and in the Pom routine they have to implement a pom pass off with each other. Our girls did theirs with their legs and I thought it was so cute and so unique. They placed 2nd overall for Pom. 

The competition ended up being over a little after 12 which was awesome. It is fun to watch but it does get tiresome sitting on the bleachers all day long.