Friday, April 15, 2011

Got Threaded?

A couple of weeks ago I drove down to Utah to help my sister Emily because she just had surgery on her shoulder. She fell and tore the cartilage in her shoulder and had to have it operated on. Ouch! she was told to expect a 6 week recovery period where she had to have her arm in a sling and she could not drive. This was not good news. Emily has been going to school and her kids were still in school, she really needed someone to drive her around and help out around the house. So I left my little family and headed down to Utah, Brit and her kids came with so they could visit her family and my brother Josh came down from Seattle to visit us and he came with me too.
I spent my time in Utah Driving Emily to and from school, taking her kids to and from school, cleaning up around the house, doing dishes, doing laundry, helping to fix dinner. Emily also needed me to help her get dressed the first couple of days I was there. But by the end of the week Emily had found her Independence and was able to get dressed all by herself. What a smart girl! Both of us wanted to keep exercising despite my lack of a gym and her injury so the first day we walked the walking path at her kids school. the next day it was snowing, blech, and so we went to the mall and walked the mall. We enjoyed that a whole lot more then walking around outside and so we did that for the rest of the week. It was fun to walk and talk and look in all the windows. I saw some things that I wanted and so one of the days i dropped Emily off at school and Joshua and I went to the mall where I bought a couple of things. So fun!
One day after Emily was done with class she and i headed to the mall to check out the Quilted Bear, I love this store! While walking around the mall I saw a place advertising "threading". Its this new eyebrow shaping technique using string. I was intrigued, it was cheap, $10, and i needed a good eyebrow shaping so i went ahead and did it.
The verdict?
It hurt! I guess for some reason i was expecting not to hurt as bad as it did. Waxing hurts also but one rip and you are done, this is a drawn out hurt. At one point the girl had me holding my closed eyelid down with one hand and pulling up on my forehead with the other. I did not like this because my eyes were watering and it was making my mascara smear, plus it was an awkward position. Overall it was an OK experience. What could have made it better was if the girl doing my threading did not have such bad breath. She must have come from lunch and it was not the best smell. I imagine if she had cinnamon breath that that would have made the experience better. Cinnamon is calming.