Sunday, June 27, 2010

keffords owie

You know what happens to me when I haven't posted in a while? I get non-posters guilt. Seriously! For the past couple of days I have been getting a wee bit of anxiety about looking at my blog. I would want to come on to see who has posted so that I could read their lovely new news but when I log on and see the same post on mine that has been there for what seems like forever I feel soooo guilty. So I started logging on and not even looking at my old news post but quickly scroll past it to where my friends postings are listed. Sad I know. Pathetic even! Its not like I don't have pictures to post it is just me being lazy or thinking I will get to it later. Finally I bit the bullet and have posted pictures of Keffords injury. I think I must be really tired this morning or else it could be that I have had to stop every couple of minutes to break up ANOTHER fight between my kids and it has left me disoriented but these pictures are not in the right order. I don't want to start over to get it more right so these will have to do. At least you have something new..although maybe slightly icky to look at. You know whats funny about my posters guilt? I still post way more then some people on my friends list! HA!





On May 19 Kefford got up and left super early to go play basketball at the church. I, of course, stayed in bed. A little while later I heard him come home and immediately get some ice from the fridge, then he came up the stairs and it sounded like he was not walking right. He came in the bedroom and I asked him what was going on. He said that he was coming down from a jump shot when it felt like somebody kicked him really hard in his Achilles. He turned around but nobody was behind him. Not a good thing. He came home and after waiting for Dr offices to be opened he went in. Turns out he tore his Achilles tendon completely apart and just like that he was scheduled for surgery in two days. Poor Kefford!



Luckily for me my Mom happened to be coming to visit us from California. It made things really nice when I had to take Kefford in for his surgery at 5:30 in the morning. So I took him in and we were waiting when Kefford decided he had to go to the bathroom. He went in the back and that was the last I saw of him until they came out to tell me 2 and a half hours later that he was waking up from surgery. I was a little bit bugged that they took him in without letting me kiss him goodbye or tell him good luck or anything, what if something horrible happened and I never got to have a last goodbye? Oh well he came through OK and so they were off the hook!

His leg was half casted and then wrapped up good and tight in an ace bandage. These first three pictures were taken after the cast had come off.
Look at how gross and swollen his foot was and still kinda is. He pressed his finger into the side of it and when he took it away he left a dent that stayed there for a good 10 to 15 minutes. It was kinda grossing me out.
Here you can see where the scar is and see some of the bruising still on his foot.

Seeing his fat and swollen foot really makes me appreciate the looks of his bony normal foot!

This picture shows how Kefford usually ends up when he comes home at the end of his work day. He gets to wear that lovely boot for at least 2 more months we think. He is always so tired and his foot is so sore and swollen by the end of the day that he likes to keep it elevated to try and reduce some of the swelling. I am not sure how much it really helps but he likes to do it so more power to him. In a perfect world he could just stay home all day and be waited on and not have to worry about constantly being on his feet at work. Poor guy!
Ryker enjoyed seeing Kefford on his crutches so much that he wrapped his foot in an ace bandage and pulled out his own crutches.
These next four pictures were taken at the Drs office while Kefford was getting his cast taken off.
Why the nurse cut the ace bandage off instead of unwrapping it I will never know. Maybe we should have asked because Kefford wondered the same thing.
The foot is slowly making its appearance.
Oh man the foot looks so sad. Look at that nasty bruising. He had really bad scrapes on top of his foot from where the cast rubbed at his skin. One night a couple of days after his surgery Kefford woke me up in the middle of the night to help him unwrap his bandage so he could adjust his foot because the pressure of the half cast (at this point we thought the cast was a hard brace we didn't realize it was a cast)on top of his foot was really bugging him. I told him that was not a good idea but in his druggish state he was not listening to me and insisted. So I, with my eyes barely open because I was barely awake, started to unwrap. That is when we realized his leg was in a cast and there was nothing we could do about his pressure points. So I started to rewrap, it was not easy, I was tired and a little irritated at Kefford for making me do this impossible task. I didn't rewrap it right and he didn't like the way I was doing it but we eventually figured it out and I went back to bed.
So if you look closely at his foot in this top picture you will notice a line running across the length of his leg and through the scar. That is part of the stitches and the Dr said he was just going to pull it out. I quickly volunteered to leave the room because that was not something I wanted to see. It was over very quick which was good because Kefford said that did not feel good at all. Ouch!
Kefford has been on crutches for the past four weeks or so and in a couple days he will be able to start walking on his foot while wearing the boot. He will have to wear that for a couple of months we think and then the physical therapy will start. He has a long road ahead of him and all because he wanted to play basketball for some exercise.
Exercising is not good for you!