Monday, January 2, 2023

Elder Peterson Week 69

 This New Years was the most uneventful of my life. Which is probably a good thing, since I'm a missionary and I don't need to be worrying about partying. We went through the days as normal and on Saturday night we went to bed at 10:30 and slept through the fireworks. (I did at least, apparently my companion didn't).

      Speaking of my companion, we've had a transfer! I'm in a really interesting situation, so buckle up. Elder Colt got transfered to Baytown, Texas, and I'm staying in the area to train a new missionary. If you have been reading  my emails, you'll remember that I was also supposed to be training last transfer, but Elder Heronema wasn't able to fly out because he got sick and he missed the whole transfer. This time though, my new trainee was here. Elder Woodhouse from Arizona. Now, this is where it gets confusing, Elder LeBaron is also going to be training this transfer, but he was in quarentine cause he got covid. So from Wednesday to Friday I had both of our greenies, Elder Woodhouse and Elder Scibelli. It was weird driving around with two brand new missionaries. I'm not done yet though! On Friday Elder Scibelli was finally able to join his actual trainer and it was down to just Elder Woodhouse and I. Normal stuff. BUT, on Saturday we got word that Elder Heronema will be arriving in the mission on Tuesday (tomorrow)! Which is exciting for him cause he's been stuck at home for a while. Now you're thinking "oh, that's great! I wonder who his trainer will be since Elder Peterson is already training someone else..." And that's a great question. I asked President Larkin that question. Who is his trainer going to be?
 Me. 
For some reason that is beyond me, President Larkin (through inspiration that I don't understand) has decided to have me train him as well. 
So, starting on Tuesday (tomorrow), I will be training two brand new missionaries at the same time. Oh boy.
     Now, for those who think I might be acting dramatic, new missionaries have no idea what's going on. It's funny, but also stressful. I've got to help two missionaries (who first of all think they know everything about being a missionary already) learn rules, schedules, lessons, doctrine, all that stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited. But I'm just a little nervous about having the responsibility of training two guys at the same time.
Oh, and did I mention...
I'm also District Leader as well. 
Woooooo!!! I'm going to be exhausted all transfer, it's gonna be awesome! I am genuinely excited, don't worry.

     So anyway, there's the weird situation that's been going on. Other than that stuff, things have been pretty normal. Elder Woodhouse and I had a great lesson with Joseph the other day. Brother Slay from our ward came with us and his testimony made a huge difference. We were talking about the Priesthood and how only Christ's church has the authority to baptize and perform saving ordinances like that. And how with that Priesthood, the same organization that Jesus Christ established 2000 years ago has been re-established by modern prophets who have authority from Christ. Great stuff! Brother Slay testified of the Book of Mormon and of Priesthood power and it was great. At the end of the lesson I asked Joseph what the Spirit is telling him he needs to do. He said he feels that he needs to pray about these things and pray for courage to make needed changes in his life. I'm really hoping he does, because it was really exciting to hear him respond in that way. I know that if he does sincerely pray about these things, Heavenly Father will help him walk the path he needs to take.

     That's about all I'm going to write for this week, I need to get a haircut right now. 
It's a new year! I challenge you all to think about how you can focus on the Savior more this year. Find ways to make Him the center of your life. I know blessings come from doing so.

Have a great first week of 2023!

-Elder Peterson

Elder Woodhouse seems to really like cats...