Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Black Canyon Lake

On Monday the kids did not have school because of it being Martin Luther King Day. I still had to teach dance and I needed to go grocery shopping so I left the kids to go get my shopping done and then I headed to the studio to teach my class. After I got home and after we unloaded the car I ate lunch and then dropped Ryker off at Parker Myers house so they could work on a lesson for Sunday and also to hang out. Kenedy went to cheer practice and Rylee, Avynlea and I headed to Emmett to meet my friend Courtney and her family to have a playdate at Black Canyon Lake. It was Happy Hour at Sonic so we got some drinks while we waited for Courtney to meet up with us. 
While we waited I talked on the phone with my Mom for a little bit which was nice. Kenedy is going to California in a couple of weeks for a cheer trip and her coach agreed to let Kenedy spend Sunday with family so we were trying to figure out how to get her to Mom's and back. 
Once Courtney arrived we followed her and her husband out to the lake. I have worked with Courtney for the past couple of years at Elevated Dance and her oldest, Madi, has been in some of my dance classes. Courtney isn't teaching this year and I haven't seen her since May so we decided we needed to meet up because I have been missing her and I really wanted to see Madi again.
The water level at the lake was really low and we were able to walk pretty far out on the sandbar. Courtney brought sand toys and a shovel and the kids had fun playing with those. The sand went out really flat for a ways and then there was a big drop off with the lake down below. It was interesting to see and a little nerve racking watching the kids watch to the edge. The sand was not very stable and if someone were to stand right on the edge they would have the collapsed the sand and would have gone down. Luckily we all stayed safe. It was a nice sunny day and the sun helped us feel like it was nice weather even though it was in the high 40's. Once the sun started to go down we started to feel more of the chill and my feel especially started to get cold. 
I really enjoyed spending time visiting with Courtney and it was really great to see Madi and to talk with her. We have always been good buddies at the dance studio and I love that she still remembers me!


Me and Madi!
Courtney's husband Pete tried making a path down to the water and Rylee made it about halfway down before she decided to come back. The sand was just too unstable and I knew if she got to the bottom where we couldn't reach her it would have been too hard for her to climb up. I did find an area that had a shelf of sand below the top where we were standing and Avy and Rylee wanted to get down to it so I helped them and then after a minute or so pulled them back up.
We had a lot of fun getting out of the house and enjoying time in the sun with friends. 

I posted this picture on instagram with the caption 
"Playing at the beach, in Idaho in Winter!"