Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Total Eclipse


Mon Aug. 21 was the day Idaho and the rest of the world, it seems, has been waiting for for a long time. It was the Solar Eclipse. I have been seeing signs and information about it for a couple of months but never thought too much about it. It seemed cool but not something to get too crazy about. Luckily we were close to the path of totality and did not have to go too far to experience it. I would not have traveled out of state for it like a lot of people did. We were just blessed to be in the path this time around. The Saturday before Kefford and I thought we should stop procrastinating and try to find some glasses. Unfortunately a lot of places were sold out but fortunately Kefford called Fred Meyer and they had just gotten some in so he and I headed over to get some. Since they had a limited number they were only allowing each customer to buy 4. Kefford and I went in separately and I bought 4 pairs and he bought 2. Kefford was going to Emmett on Monday to make calls for work and Emmett was more totality then Meridian so we decided to all go with him and watch it together in Emmett. He called some of his friends who live in West Emmett and asked if we could watch it from their house and they were absolutely great with that. 
Meagan works for Kefford and Kelsey and they have a house up on a hill with a really nice view. It was fun to hang out up there with them and watch the Eclipse. When Kefford got done with his calls we headed out to their house and the Eclipse had started so we were watching it as we drove up the hill. 
Once we got to the house we hung out and visited while intermittently putting on our glasses and staring at the sun disappearing. 



We were able to have Meagan take a picture of our entire family wearing our glasses before the Moon completely blocked the sun. 

I was surprised when the weather started to get cold, I was not expecting that. I think it might have happened when the sun was about 3/4s blocked and then the last minute it was so cool to see the world go dark. We did not see a complete black out but it was dark! I saw Venus appear in the sky and I was in awe of what we were witnessing. As I was watching this eclipse I was thinking of how lucky we are to witness such a magnificent part of Gods creations. I love the reminders of His love for us and the amazing things we can witness. 
Once the eclipse happened Kefford was messing with the telescope and he got the Crescent shadow on some paper. 
Meagan's next door neighbor had a really big dog that they took us over to see. My girls were really interested and got a picture with him but I was not so I stayed over at Meagan visiting with her.