Saturday, June 11, 2016

Girls Camp 2016 as told by Kenedy


This year for Girls Camp I got to be a YCL! A YCL is a Youth Camp Leader and it was so so so much fun. I felt like I was able to connect with the younger girls a lot more. This is me at the church ready to head off to Girls Camp.

This is me and Gabi Caroca sitting around the campfire. We made each other laugh so much throughout camp and I am so glad that I was able to become closer with her.
I am afraid of snakes almost as much as I am afraid of spiders...which is a lot. It took all of my courage to hold this stupid snake. Me and my friend Kassie were walking back from the bathrooms one morning when we heard a scream. Somebody had stepped on a snake and so Kassie picked it up and kept it as our ward pet. We named it Fred and all of the beehives were super obsessed with him haha. When I held him it tickled so much and that is why I am laughing. Kassie fully intended on taking Fred home but we lost him on the last day.
The stake rented a rock climbing wall to come and let us climb it. It was a lot of fun but it is definitely harder than it looks! It takes a lot of upper arm strength. There was also a pingpong table that I had the chance to play on a little bit.
Since my dad is in the bishopric he came up on the second day at girls camp to spend some time with us. The third day of camp was his FORTIETH BIRTHDAY...but knowing my dad, he didn't want a huge celebration. Instead the stake leaders called him up in front of everybody and we all sang Happy Birthday to him.
Camp was so unbelievably hot...like I have never had to endure heat at camp like that. Luckily they had a snow cone station and I ate snow cone after snow cone. For our service project, we made hats for stillborn babies. We made two identical ones per baby so that they could put one on the baby before they bury them and then one for the family to keep. A traditional girls camp prank is Snipe Hunting. It's where we tell the first years that we are going to go catch some "snipes" and we explain that they are a furry little creature. Then, when it gets dark we all put mint toothpaste on our faces and say it attracts the snipes (the toothpaste burnssss!!). We then go to a open field where we pretend to catch some snipes. When we did this, at one point Gabi said "Look! A snipe!" and so i dove onto the ground and she dove on top of me and then London pretended to catch it. We took the snipe (pinecone) back to camp and got in a circle and then threw it at the girls. After the screaming ended and they realized it was a pinecone we explained that it was just a prank. It was so funny! I felt kinda bad because some of the girls were actually genuinely excited and super pumped to go hunting...only to find out it was a prank hahahah.
The right picture: London, me, Lauryn. Left picture: Lauryn and I. Lauryn is my very best friend, we have been best friends since second grade. We have never grown apart and I know I can always count on her. This is us standing in a creek at girls camp. There was no place to swim! No pool, no river, this was the only water to play in. Since it was so hot and since my foot was super swollen we decided to go cool off in there.
Me and Gabi again. As you can see in the big picture, there is a can of frosting by me and i am holding a bag of BoomChickPop popcorn. Dinner of champions I'm telling you. It was delicious. Me and Gabi were talking and messing around when we realized that we are turning into our mothers haha. Our moms are crazy together and thats me and Gabi.
So all in all, Girls Camp 2016 was pretty great. I wasn't too excited about it this year because it was Stake and stake camps in the past have been not super fun but this year was different and it was really nice. My testimony was strengthened and this picture above is when i got home. I don't look too bad!! Look at me being all cute after Girls Camp awww yisss go me.