Thursday, January 8, 2015

Doll Kits and Ice-Cream Sundaes

I frequently log onto our local libraries website to reserve books online. A couple of weeks before Christmas I had gone on to find some books and I discovered an announcement about American Girl Dolls. Our Library used to have a display of them that has since been taken down. I wondered what they were going to do with them and thought they might sell them. But according to the announcement we can now check out the Dolls from the Library. I showed my girls and they were pretty excited about it and wanted to reserve some Dolls. So we did. There was no way to tell what place in line we were and so we just had to wait. Every day my girls were asking if I got an email about the Dolls which I never did. Eventually I discovered that the Dolls could be checked out for 28 days and I told my girls it was probably going to be a long time until they could get them. 

On Monday I got an email from the Head Children's Librarian telling me that the Dolls we placed on hold had a waiting list but they had 3 other Dolls available if we wanted. After I taught dance I decided to go and see if they had them still so I could check them out. Luck was on my side, they had two Dolls left and they were mine as long as I was on the waiting list which was 75 people long. They had so many people sign up that they have started ordering more Dolls!  Of course I was on the list and so I was able to check out Julie and Rebecca for Avynlea and Rylee.  They were going to be so excited and I could not wait for them to see the Dolls. 

A little bit later I got an email telling me someone made a mistake and I was only allowed one Doll on my card so I needed to bring one back. I was bummed and knew I would have a very sad child if she did not get a Doll but her Sister did. So I emailed her back apologizing for the mistake and after explaining to her I had two girls who each wanted a Doll I asked if I could return one and then turn around and recheck it out using a different card. I immediately got a return email telling me if I would give her a card number that she would do it for me electronically. So of course that is what I did. She came through and did it and I thanked her profusely. I love our Library so much and am grateful for understanding librarians who could be not so understanding. 

I was excited for my girls to get their Dolls but we had to get through piano lessons, homework, dinner and clean up before I could tell them about the Dolls, it was killing me! I did mention to them about the long waiting list and I told them they would probably be 16 before they got a Doll to check out. Finally they were finished with everything and I told them they needed to clean up in the toy closet which is where I had put the Dolls. They were so excited to find Julie and Rebecca in there waiting for them and were so happy to start playing.

Each Doll kit comes with an outfit, a book, a journal, a bed and bedding and a special brush or pick.  
Rylee got Rebecca                                        Avynlea got Julie
I snapped a picture of Ryker playing on his tablet. He is such a cute boy. 
Rylee was in charge of treat for FHE and when I asked her what she wanted she told me ice-cream sundaes, yum yum. She wanted to have ice-cream with whipped cream and cherries, none of which we had on hand so I texted Kefford asking him to stop at the store to pick the ingredients up on his way home. 
When it was time to serve she even knew how she wanted them served, in our fancy glasses. She did a good job and it tasted so good. She looked so cute serving me my sundae, so excited and happy about it.