Thursday, December 17, 2009

Where were you during the great flood of 2009?

So on Sunday I went to Young Women's and put my church bag and scripture bag against the wall close to where I would be teaching my beehives then I went and sat down in the middle of the YW room for opening exercises. Jessica came in and was telling me how she heard one of the other buildings was flooded and that the nursery bathroom in our building had flooded. I kinda laughed about that and picturing in my head the toilet flooding over said that I hope it wasn't Rylee who did it! HAHAHA. So we got through the song, the prayer, the theme, and were just getting into announcements when it happened..A big boom and then water spraying from the wall over everything. We all shrieked, jumped up and ran out of the room while Denise snuck around the back wall to close the door of the control panel that had bust open and now had water spraying from it. She managed to make it so the water was not spraying out at us only spraying out the side, so I went in and grabbed all the bags and books and supplies that were left in the way. The floor was quickly getting soaked and started to spread out into the halls. Then there were weird lights flashing, alarms were sounding and a pre-programed voice telling us to exit the building. I started to go into the gym so I could cut across to get Rylee from nursery but all of the priesthood men were still sitting in their seats so i backed out wondering what the heck am I supposed to do? I was a little panicky because I wanted to get my kids to make sure they were OK and to reassure them that all was fine. I have to admit that I was getting a little teary (never did I let the tears loose though!) because it was all so overwhelming what with the water and the alarms and the crazy voice that kept repeating to exit the building. SO I went around the hall and saw Avynlea standing out in the hall with her teacher and I took her. Then I walked back and saw Ryker standing by his classroom and grabbed him. Finally I saw the priesthood guys leaving and everybody was telling everyone else to go home, church was over for the day. So I sent Ryker and Avy with Kefford and I went to grab Rylee. Come to find out the nursery bathroom had flooded but not how I pictures it. Water started pouring in from the ceiling and through the lights...so scary. They got that under control and had the nursery kids sequestered into one little room. Poor kids were taken out and sent home right when they were starting to get ready for snack. There were many kids crying because they wanted to eat snack. We went outside and saw Kefford loading the other kids into the car, he also had Kenedy and so I put Rylee in, got in myself and then Kefford left to go help inside the church. Alarms were sounding off outside too it was all so crazy! We sat in the car waiting for quite awhile when I decided to go find Kefford to get the keys so I could take the kdis home. I saw Roger Tyler in the kitchen which is right next to the YW room and I asked him to get my keys from Kefford. While I was waiting I saw the kitchen totally flooded and I saw water pouring out of the brick by the YW room. I got my keys told Kefford he needed to get a ride home and i took the kids home.

While at home Ryker peeled all the potatoes for mashed potatoes (by himself!),

Kenedy baked a yummy cake (by herself!),

Avynlea watched a Felicity movie while Rylee fell asleep.
It was such a crazy church day but we were all lucky that it wasn't something worse. My church bags got soaked but my scriptures and books were just fine. Kefford said that a bunch of men stayed and/or came back to the church to help clean up. They got most of the water up and looking much better. I am still not aware of what exactly happened but this was one Sunday we will never forget!