Thursday, October 20, 2022

Mom's Surgery

My Mom had to have a second hip surgery this time on her Left hip and I told her that when she had it done I would try to come down and help her. It was originally scheduled for August and so I booked a plane ticket and made plans to go and help. A week before the surgery my Mom had to be on medications for something and because she was on a certain medication they had to reschedule her surgery. It was rescheduled for October 11 and I was able to rebook my ticket for that week which was pretty great. I flew in on the evening of the 10th and the next morning Heather and I took Mom to the hospital for her surgery. We had to arrive at 6 but they kept us waiting and wouldn't let us check in until 7, it was an annoying and long wait. I put Mom's hair in French braids so she didn't have to worry about her hair being messed up after surgery and she looked pretty cute. 
When they finally took her back Heather and I went home and laid on the couch watching TV so we could fall back asleep if we wanted to. At about noon the hospital called us to pick up Mom's medications so we headed over to wait in another line for her medicine and then we came back home to wait again. Finally closer to 3:00 we got the call that she was ready to be picked up. Heather and I went to the Hospital and went upstairs to get Mom. They brought her out of the room in her wheelchair and gave her to us and we took possession. While in the elevator Heather flashed Mom so that later we could see if she would remember. We asked her. lot throughout the day and the days after and every time she said yes. I think she was remembering just because we were asking so much. Her hair looked cute and she said she got a lot of compliments on her hair so success!
Heather went back to work the next day and so I was solely in charge of Mom and her care. I made a schedule for her medications and gave them to her on time throughout the day. Mom went to bed at about 10:00 every night and I would set my alarm and get up at 4am to give her her medicine and help her get to the bathroom. She was able to get in and out of bed, slowly, herself but I needed to be there to give her her walker and if there were any problems. She was a really good patient and made it easy to take care of her. The Dr said she had to walk every hour and I took that job seriously and she walked a little bit in the house every hour. The physical therapist came the day after her surgery and he gave us some exercises that she had to do three times a day. They were hard but she was so good to do them knowing that they would help with her recovery. 
Ashleigh came over with her kids towards the end of the week and it was fun to see them and get to hang out. Abigail has gotten so friendly and I loved playing with her.


Kenedy had a break from student teaching and she and Tyler came down from Utah to go to Disneyland and visit our family as well as Tyler's Dad's family who live in Corona. They came over on Friday and spent all day hanging out with us. Ashleigh came over with her kids and then after work Stephanie, Jeremy and Heather were there to see Kenedy and meet Tyler. Atticus quickly made Tyler his new best friend and they spent a lot of the day playing and having fun. 
Atticus was pretty sad when he had to leave his new best friend, the hug between these two was so cute
Abigail got a hold of my phone and accidentally took a selfie. I love her chubby face!

One of my former Young Women got her mission call to serve in the Riverside California mission and I was so excited because that is my home mission! I thought it would be fun to meet up with her while I was down in California and so I asked Erin and Stephanie if they would come and hang out with Mom while Heather and I met up with Sister Eberhard and her companion and took them to lunch. We met at a Mexican restaurant and it was so fun to see Madi, spend some time with her and eat yummy Mexican food. She is such a good missionary and just glowed with that missionary spirit. Her companion was super sweet and I had a great time visiting with both of them. I Brought Madi a small package that her Mom had sent with me for her and we just visited and ate for about and hour. I loved giving her a hug and then made sure to get some pictures. 
On Sunday, Ashleigh's family, Erin and Mary Beth came over for dinner. Heather and I went to Costco while Erin and Stephanie were with Mom on Saturday to get a couple of things for dinner.  One of the items was to get something for dessert so I picked a white cake because they are delicious and then I had the Costco bakers add a special message for Mom on it. 
MaryBeth was talking about how they are going to call me Nurse Rachet but I didn't like the sound of that because it sounds so mean and I am not a mean nurse. I was trying to come ip with a better name to call me and when I said I am Nurse...all that I could think of and what came out was pretty girl. We laughed and laughed over that one because they said Nurse Pretty Girl sounded like a stripper name. It is loads better then Nurse Rachet so I am sticking with Nurse Pretty Girl.
I got a picture of mom's staples when the PT came to change her bandages and then a week and a half after the surgery I was walking behind Mom for one of her hourly walks and I saw the biggest nastiest looking bruise I have ever seen. I took a picture so I could show her. She said she can't feel it and it is just the blood from surgery settling draining down her leg.