Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Biography "Book Talk"

Throughout the year Kenedy has had to do different book reports on different topics. This last one she had to do a Biography, write a report about this persons life, dress up in costume to be that person and then present it to the class. Kenedy chose to do her report on Susan B. Anthony. She did really great research and wrote up a great speech. I was contemplating making her a period piece costume but I told her that if I did it would have to be her Halloween costume also. She contemplated and then decided to use a costume that her friend said she could borrow. I was a bit relieved because that would have been a lot of work and money to make her a period piece costume, I would have done it, but I was glad not to. :o)
We were allowed to come and watch and so on my way to the school I thought that it would be cool for her to have a Susan B. Anthony silver dollar to show to the class. So I stopped off at US Bank to buy one but they did not have any in their cash drawers..bummer. So I left to go the school feeling bummed when I saw another bank. It was not one I banked with but I figured I would give it one last try. Success! They had the dollar! So I went on to the school feeling like a hero!
I got there and sat through a couple of presentations before it was Kenedys turn. She got up and gave her speech and I think she did a really great job. Her presentation was supposed to have been five minutes but she took more like six and a half minutes. She used alot of dates and really had a lot of information about Ms. Anthonys life. It was cool to see her up there pretended to be this person and giving "her" life story.
 After Kenedy was done her teacher told her she did a great job and he sounded really impressed. A couple of days later she brought home her grade on the "book talk" and this is what she got:
1. Costume: 5 out of 5
2. Facts/information: 10 out of 10
( he wrote on the side, "great information, good job using the dates in your presentation.")
3. Presentation: 9 out of 10
(he wrote on the side, "more eye contact")
She got a grand total of 24 out of 25 and scored a 96%
I think that was a great grade and I agree about the eye contact, she needs to work on that! I thought she did fantastic and was very proud of her!!

Her friend Natalia was who she borrowed her costume from and in return Natalia asked if she could wear the Christmas dress I made for Kenedy for her report on Mary Lincoln.  Kenedy asked me if she could let her friend use her dress and I told her it was up to her. Of course she let her borrow it and so I had to take some pictures of Natalia wearing Kenedys dress. She looked really pretty in it and I overheard a couple of girls tell her how pretty the dress was. Yeah I patted myself on the back, I love validations! ;o)